Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2008, 20:06   #16

Boat: islandpacket
Yes a lot do, you have to ask or read the small print. This is the one I bought.
I dont know why they dont advertise them better. I am 6'3" with a big bum. I feel like I am sitting on a tea cup. This is much better. Mine is mounted on a box about 6" above the floor. This is not as large as the elongated house toilet. But is much larger than the normal marine head

RARITAN MANUAL MARINE TOILETS, PH II WHITE HOUSEHOLD-SIZE BOWL PHHBII

Old 27-11-2008, 20:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
Foam in a vent on the suction side... nah. That's little more than a finely calibrated hole in tape over the vent. What happens when deposits (calcium and dead biota) slowly clog the foam?
Read my post again, it doesn't foul.

You are free to use the method or not, but I suggest that you are in no position to criticise it as you have no experience of applying it. I do have that experience and it works. In fact it works very well.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 05:12   #18

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
You're not the first person to suggest some sort of vented loop on the suction side of the commode pump. In fact, Ta Shing Yacht Builders, who built Babas, Tashibas, Pandas, Taswells, and the Mason 43 and 44, among other boats, did exactly the same thing. But that doesn't make it right. I stand by my assessment that it's inadvisable to do so.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 05:59   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Let's not "bait" each other.
Let's not "take" the bait, when it's inadvertently posted.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 06:24   #20

While your at it- why not get rid of the traditional head altogether and go for a composting head! Save weight, smell, systems, less thru-hulls, and the by-product helps fertilize the local gardens.

We installed an Airhead and it was the best thing we ever did. We gained storage where the tank was, lost the ever present methane smell, and never have to deal with a clogged head again.

PS- the airhead stands taller than the marine heads
Old 28-11-2008, 16:37   #21

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
Aren't those airhead heads expensive??
“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly.... who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” T.R.
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 18:06   #22

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
lavac makes one that is pretty big too.

Popular Model

The "C" dimension is slightly (1/2 inch) smaller than my home toilet but the bowl thickness is less so I am thinking the "hole" (while still being round and not oval like the home unit) would be about the same size. I have not used one but am pretty sure that once I get a boat that will be one of the first upgrades. I don't know how much room there is in the front for all the "junk" when sitting but I am pretty sure there is more than on the little Jabsco that was in the Gemini I chartered. The cold porcelain rub is not something I care a lot for.

OHH wait.

Zenith Model

This model has a "C" of 14.5 inches. That (assuming the same thickness of bowl) gives .75 more inches of "dangle space".

edit----dang the Zenith is discontinued.
The other is 400.00us

I have that budgeted in on the "upgrade" list. I would rather have that than a third GPS - would use it a lot more anyway.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 18:32   #23

Thanks for mentioning the "dangle" space

Thanks for mentioning the "dangle" space. I couild not come up with a gentle way of posing that issue!!!

One person here said the average marine head felt like trying to squat on a teacup, basically. And he's right. A SHALLOW one...

Hey, even in Florida that seawater you pump in is COLD in November!!

Great thread, at least it's a lot more practical than the ones I read in SAIL about the latest $20,000 mainsail I must have....
“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly.... who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” T.R.
Old 28-11-2008, 18:41   #24

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
exranger,

After you put it in take us for a sail.
The wife will enjoy the sail (me too probably) while I "bomb"..err....test out the new equipment.
Old 28-11-2008, 19:42   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
exranger,

After you put it in take us for a sail.
The wife will enjoy the sail (me too probably) while I "bomb"..err....test out the new equipment.
If I was exranger I would equip my wife with a pair of scissors to ensure you only have the to ability to perform the test for "standard dangle space" as opposed to the one for "extraordinary dangle space".
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 20:08   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
If I was exranger I would equip my wife with a pair of scissors to ensure you only have the to ability to perform the test for "standard dangle space" as opposed to the one for "extraordinary dangle space".

OUCH!!
Old 28-11-2008, 20:26   #27

Lack of dangle space is areal common complaint. I dont know who designed the first practical head and why they made it the same size as a bucket. Why have they made them so small for so long. I still want a bigger one. Those sailors of old must have had some really small junk!!!
Old 29-11-2008, 07:19   #28

Therapy,

You are welcome to come along anytime!! I warn you, the seawater has been cold recently and that porcelain -- OUCH!!!

Seriously, as funny as all this is, it had brought to the fore of my mind just how much I really, really hate the fact that marine heads give you know ability to enjoy your time on the porcelain! From the size of the seat to the shallowness of the bowl, it's really barely better than a port-a-potty.

I will look at some of those units mentioned here that are bigger than the standard size marine heads. I am also going to build a good sized box to raise the current one.

Hmmm, then I WILL need a good magazine rack....
Old 29-11-2008, 07:23   #29

Dont forget a new reading light!!!
Old 29-11-2008, 07:29   #30

How about re-positioning the LCD Tv so I can watch football?!?!

Tags
ais