Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2020, 10:13   #31

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Rainwater Collection?

Our roof runs off to the next deck which has inbuilt PVC pipe drains, 2 a side

To those I have cobbled together PVC reducers and t piece into 1 which drains into a 10 litre bucket with tap , hanging from the ceiling.

Off of the bucket I have 1.25 litre soft drink bottle with the base cut off and a 100 micron filter sock inserted, ring is neat push fit in bottle
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-Micr...IAAOSwBqpd1oMK

Outlet has PVC fitting sikaflexed in with hose attached running to tank fill point.

At tank fill point I put a chux kitchen cloth over the end as a final filter and push that into the fill point.

During heavy downpours we have collected over 2 tonne of water , all used for drinking, washing etc.
4 years doing it, no one dead yet.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 14:00   #32

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Rainwater Collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I like it Mr B. Avoids all the problems of having to clean the collecting area. How large is your tarp?

I came across this product, which seems like what you're doing B.

https://www.newpig.com/pig-roof-leak-diverter/p/TLS462

Seems to me it would be fairly easy to install some sort of valve with a spigot. Diverting it through Thin's filter would make it bomb-proof.
Aprox 6 feet wide and 8 feet long, It can be a rectangle, It would be easier,
The triangle was just what I had on board at the time,
Any rectangular light peice of tarp or sheet of plastic will do, Grommets in the four corners and one in the centre to be able to tie it up to catch the rain,,

A 6x4 foot car trailer tarp will do the job cheaply and efficiently as it already has the grommets to tie it up,

Being a Cat, I tie it to the davits on the transom and bring it into the cockpit to a bucket,
On a Mono, Possibly tie a sheet across the deck on the bow tied to the handrails, It would work the same, But you will get wet standing in the rain to collect the water in a bucket,

Its the only time I have got wet on my boat, It was raining before I tied it up in the rain, But whos cares when its 30+Celcius,
Its quite surprising how much water you can collect in a very short time with a peice of tarp,

I did look at collecting off the roof, But dried bird crap takes a while to soften in the rain,
So you would still get bird crap in the water no matter how long it rained and washed the roof, before collecting the water,
And I only wanted fresh drinking water, So the roof collecting was out for me,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, water