Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2019, 14:33   #1

Questions about marine AC New installation

I am doing a new install of a marine 16k AC. I positioned the intake in proximity to engine intake so I felt certain I was low enough on hull. This install is in a complete rebuild of a '72 Pearson 33 so there is not a lot of room. Question is: I expected where I positioned the Bronze strainer that when I opened the thru hull, water would fill the strainer. Water stops in hose about 7" from top of thru hull fitting and does not reach strainer much less fill it. I expected to mount the pump on same plain as the top of the strainer. Now installation has come to a stop! The pump is not a dry pump so it needs water. Any ideas??Click image for larger version

Name:	20190420_173152_HDR.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	190504
glcalahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 15:34   #2

Re: Questions about marine AC New installation

The kind of pump you are using NEEDS to be mounted BELOW the water line of the vessel, and ALL of the plumbing between the seacock and the pump also needs to be below the waterline, preferably at all angles of heel. If not, you'll be fighting air locks forever.

There is no way around it, short of using a self-priming positive displacement pump--which is not the best choice for an AC cooling circuit.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 15:55   #3

Re: Questions about marine AC New installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
The kind of pump you are using NEEDS to be mounted BELOW the water line of the vessel, and ALL of the plumbing between the seacock and the pump also needs to be below the waterline, preferably at all angles of heel. If not, you'll be fighting air locks forever.

There is no way around it, short of using a self-priming positive displacement pump--which is not the best choice for an AC cooling circuit.
Hey Bill,

Thank you!! Oddly, I just finished reading that before I checked my email. Guessing I will mount strainer and pump next to eachother on a piece of marine grade ply and remotely mount the board keeping within 2'.

Man...its a struggle for a fat old guy! No room to work!!

Thank you!

Gary
glcalahan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, marine