Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2010, 17:58   #1
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Putting in a Plumbing System for the Galley Sink

oh oh oh I am a very excited girl.

Last weekend we did our usual tramp around the begining of the season swap meets and did we ever score!!! among a bunch of cool things I got my hands on a whale foot pump for the galley, almost new in excellent condition. this was the last item in my plumbing line up for the water tank to galley sink renovation.

So now I have a 25 gallon water tank (original) that is really permanently installed in the center of the v berth. Like fiber-glassed into place and under a screwed down piece of the v berth deck.

I have new hoses, the fiber wrapped clear kind for drinking water.

I have a jabsco pump that is designed for multiple runs which is only for the one run now (and prolly forever).

I have my cool cool cool little foot pump.

I have a brand new really shiny nice center hole marine grade faucet with a 1.5" foot.

I have a 2" hole for the faucet in my counter.

I also have a 25 gallon tank that is pretty much new that could be installed under the quarter berth aft and starboard, which is the same side as the galley.

I have concerns about the quality of water from the old tank after I go thru the cleaning out and bleaching and flushing drill.

I have concerns about the balance of the boat with 25 gallons on the one side, not in the center.

I have that stupid counter hole that I have to find some sort of plug/filler for.

I have the 2 pumps. I had imagined that the foot pump would be mounted somewhere in the cabinet the sink is in. I don't know which side is best for mounting; left footed or right. The jabsco would be mounted back under the v berth locker adjacent to the tank and in proximity of the hose run.

I am not sure how the water will work when I get it all hooked up and turn it on.

I am imagining that when I turn on the water the jabsco pump will turn on automatically and water will flow thru the foot pump and come out.

I am imagining that when the pump is turned off and I step on the foot pump the water will flow thru the jabsco and be pumped out by the foot pump so long as the tap is open.

I am a tiny bit ambivalent about even bothering with the jabsco, But Himself is practically a live aboard and it would be convenient while at the marina where power is no issue. I think if we were cruising this boat I wouldn't even consider putting in the electric pump.

Any suggestions on how I can best use what I have and set up this system?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 20:29   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
25 gallons is 200 pounds...you should be able to shift some weight, eh?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 21:00   #3

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
I think it might be good to consider letting the foot pump have access to non-pressurized water (tee off the input to the Jabsco). The Whales have a history of leaking when under continuous pressure (mine, a Gusher mark III just started, and I've ordered a rebuild kit), but working for a very long time when not thus stressed. Also, I'm not entirely convinced the foot pump will draw through the inactive electric pump... I could be wrong, but that sounds iffy. Could you mount the Jabsco closer so you would not need a double run of hose?
Old 14-04-2010, 22:10   #4

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
I would also put the foot pump on a seperate run from the pump, and a seperate outlet for it otherwise the tap will back-pressure it. You can use the foot pump outlet to fill that pesky hole in the counter.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 22:19   #5

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Definitely on the separate outlet... that's essential. I also have one for salt water, with another foot-pump, great for the messy first phase of dish-washing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	galleysink.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	15333  
Old 14-04-2010, 22:37   #6

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
use pex pipe and install a tee with shut off for the manual pump.
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 00:01   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
From the tank I'd go with a single line toward the galley to a convenient place to mount the pressure pump,(they are noisy and under a birth may not be the best place for it) just before the pressure pump I'd tee off to the foot pump then continue to its own faucet at the sink (mind you that faucet needn't be a proper faucet with valve, its just an outlet for the water to pass...a bent piece of tubing) after the pressure pump you continue to the normal sink faucet.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 04:33   #8

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Here's the tiny faucet for a dedicated foot pump: Solid Chrome Spout Do run a separate, non-pressurized feed line to the wonderful Whale pump. Keep the two pumps separate and they'll back each other up...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 04:52   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Adding the extra tank is good. It's nice to splurge with water when on the hook. Do we see some future overnighters? If the new tank makes the boat list. Then you can only fill it when doing over nighters, use it first, and no one says you have to completely fill it. BEST WISHES on the project........i2f

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 06:25   #10
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
ok, this is a wealth of thoughts! thanks to all. I have of course seen 2 faucets with one dedicated to salt water and one to fresh but never considered the option of 2 fresh faucets!

I am just thinking here.. we will not be putting in a water heater and the faucet I have has hot and cold taps. does running the jabsco to one and the whale to the other make sense? I had figured I would just hook up to the cold and let it go at that, but is there some reason I cant use both taps in this manner?

and there are over nighters and coastal cruises planned for 5 to 7 days. that second tank as a back up way in the aft space which could be filled only when needed is sounding like a good idea, and the input that it's only 200 lbs is a good point. I can adjust gear for that pretty easily.

you guys are great!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 20:11   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
You should be able to use the cold water side for the whale pump, just remember to keep the valve on the faucet open.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 23:02   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Thats a good idea.
I also don't see a problem with it if the valves are separate i.e. not a mixer type valve.
If it is a mixer valve you could get back pressure...not sure what that would effect.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 05:13   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
If you want hot water for a shower? There's the solar bags if there's sunshine. The builder of Imagine built her to be on the hook. Not even a shower power connection. He put a small hole on the vanity. Glued in a funnel leading to a 5gl. tank underneath. Add teak kettle water, and you have hot water........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric pump, foot pump, installation, plumbing, sink, tanks