Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2011, 17:10   #1

Boat: 73 pearson 35
Pur Survivor Frozen

So,
The wife tells me she put the things i left strewn about the house out on the unheated front porch.Do not hurry to a new job....grins.One is my ditch bag with a pickled Pure survivor{manual pump} watermaker.This is in Buffalo,NY.Has anyone heard how much dammage happens when you freeze your watermaker?Currantly frozen at work in ND.
Thank You
Mark
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 17:33   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
I have not delt with a frozen PUR before but I'm sure the same issues arise as with other watermakers I have worked on that were frozen. First the small PURO6 membrane vessel looks to be pretty rugged so probably the unit itself will be fine. But frozen membranes can be crushed by the expansion of freezing fluids in the membrane and ruin the membrane itself. I'd suggest you shoot off the question to CF member "ishipaco". He is the resident expert on that make of watermaker.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 17:42   #3

Tellie,
Thanks for the reply.Had the bad wife bring it back into the warmth.She says no leaking in the storage bag so i am assuming the housing and pump are good.Will put rebuild kit into pump anyway.Add another $100 to my habit...laughing.Will send a message about frozen membrane.Anyone else froze a membrane?
Thank you
Mark
Old 24-01-2011, 18:04   #4

Boat: Traditional 30
I guess the all important question is how much water was still in it. givent that water expands when frozen you have done some serious damage. If was empty, it might just need some warm coco and hot meal

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 18:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
I guess the all important question is how much water was still in it. givent that water expands when frozen you have done some serious damage. If was empty, it might just need some warm coco and hot meal

Cheers
Oz
They are never empty,
Dry=ruined.This one was last used/pickled in October.Hope for the best and open wallet for the worst......
Mark
Old 24-01-2011, 18:53   #6

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Try it and see what it does.
Why bother with a rebuild kit until you see if it's damaged or not?

A few years ago, our Spectra froze. It was still in the original mounting place where it was subject to cold temps.
The glass connecting rod had collapsed and there were sharp pieces inside.
I vacuumed them up, and reassembled the Clark pump.
Everything worked fine. I didn't have to replace any seals or the membrane.

I dodged a bullet. (In this pathetic PC world, can I still say that?)

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 19:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Try it and see what it does.
Why bother with a rebuild kit until you see if it's damaged or not?

A few years ago, our Spectra froze. It was still in the original mounting place where it was subject to cold temps.
The glass connecting rod had collapsed and there were sharp pieces inside.
I vacuumed them up, and reassembled the Clark pump.
Everything worked fine. I didn't have to replace any seals or the membrane.

I dodged a bullet. (In this pathetic PC world, can I still say that?)
Laughing,
Will let you use the B word this one time but watch it......you might get the guys in the crown-vics at your door.
Am planning on having wife make a pail of salt water and try it.Will rebuild it simply because it's siple.A packet of O rings.Have spent a hour at the local machine parts store and replacements will cost me $12.Not the $110 i paid for first one from a unmentioned source.But hey,we all meed to make a profit.
This is not used as a primary source of water although it has ben for me and a friend for a week.Good workout pumping.Basically is in the ditch bag just in case.Would hate to have to use it and go OH .......get the idea.
Sent a e-mail to the man at Katadyn.Will let you know what he recomends.
Be Safe
Mark
PS,thats a Survivor 35
Old 25-01-2011, 09:30   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I had a PS 35 on our previous boat before replacing it with a PS 80.
If you have an ammeter, check to see how much current it draws while making water (approximately 4 amps) .
If it draws too much and doesn't make water, the membrane's plugged. If it doesn't draw enough and still doesn't make water, the membranes either punched, or the pump's got internal leakage and isn't making enough pressure.

My current boat has a Spectra 180.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 13:55   #9
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Your'e probably OK so just try it. I froze 4 membranes once with the plant running (Antartica land based unit and the heat exchanger failed) The seawater was at -1.5 deg C and still liquid but as it passed through the membrane it froze solid. No damage to membranes.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 17:16   #10

katadyn replies

I sent a e-mail to the MAN at Katadyn about this,Here is his reply in full.

Hi Mark,
There are a couple of potential issues here.
1. If the brand is PUR, it was manufactured between 1986 and 2002, but that is not really the issue.
2. Do you have a service tag that shows whether it has received annual testing? Unless the unit is packed inside a liferaft, it needs to be tested annually to verify that it meets spec. In a liferaft, the service cycle is longer.
3. If the membrane was recently serviced by Katadyn, there is a decent chance that the membrane was not damaged from the cold. We use a food-grade antifreeze in the membrane preservative solution which will protect from freezing to a point. The other concern with freezing is water expanding when frozen and damaging parts. That can be easily determined by testing.

Our test/ inspect service is $436 which includes new seals hoses and membrane if it is damaged.

I look forward to hearing back from you.
Best Regards,
Chris

Now to clarify what it was the wife ,note i am claiming innocence in this,FROZE.I bought this earlier.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Katadyn-Pur-Watermaker-Survivor-35-Desalinator-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a5c334b00QQitemZ25065 4968576QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Price with shipping was $100.Seal kit and Katadyn Powdered pickling was a extra $120 as i recall.
The good news is besides what looks like 1 bad o-ring the unit survived a hard freeze.It leaks slightly out of the seal for the enough pressure indicator.I do not know the teck.term for it.
Better is i did not realize Katadyn charged so little for a total test/ inspect service.I only paid $100 for unit so figuring $25 in shipping i can have another one in factoey shape for $550.These are easy units to use.Just takes a little time and muscle to get enough water to wash your hair.If you want to really get on your sweethearts good side pump her a bucket of water and wash her hair for her.....
Tellie,
Do you know anything about the food-grade antifreeze in the pickling mix Chris mentions?Is that in the powdered mix i bought from them or is it something factory special?
Thanks all for there input
Mark