Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2014, 17:44   #91
ybs

Re: PUR / Katadyn Watermaker Help from an Ex-Cruiser

Hello,
I'm interested to modify my Powersurvivor 80 (that one with 2 short vessels) in order to use standard membrane sizes. It means to change the vessels and maybe the pipes also. It is not important to use the white plastic housing of the WM anymore.

Is there somebody who did this already or are there some ideas about that. The question is what size of vessels/membranes, where to buy.

Thanks
ybs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 04:59   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Lucas & ybs.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 14:48   #93

Boat: Schucker 436 motorsailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishipaco View Post
I and my lady cruised in our 34' Aloha sloop, S/V Ishi, for over fourteen years (1995-2009), with more than 60,000 nm under the keel. Last fall we finally moved ashore in Shell Beach CA after mooring Ishi at Port San Luis. Unfortunately, our boat was completely destroyed early last January as a result of a horrific storm and a failed mooring. We're now irretrievably land-locked.

For thirteen years, I was the "cruising evangelist" for PUR and Katadyn watermakers. I gave free seminars and free help, troubleshooting and repairs for my fellow cruisers everywhere we travelled. I was well known in Mexico, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Guatemala, Bonaire, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Venezuela and several other locations.

I'd like to continue to offer my help to anyone with questions or problems concerning a PUR or Katadyn watermaker. I want to emphasize that my help is free and that I am not a rep, vendor or advertiser for Katadyn. I am not paid by them, nor do I expect any remuneration from anybody. Also, I do not endorse any brand of watermaker and do not sell anything.

If you have questions about any PUR or Katadyn watermaker, I offer two possible solutions:

First, you can visit a website I've created (Katadyn and PUR Watermakers: Installation, Maintenance and Troubleshooting) that has extensive information on the installation, use & maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of these watermakers. You can also find there a 1-hour video demonstrating complete disassembly and rebuild of the PowerSurvivor 40E model, as well as PDF versions of my book, "How to Survive with a PowerSurvivor Watermaker" and the official Katadyn manual for the 40E, which I wrote. Finally, my book (written in 1998) has the best, most thorough information and repair instructions to be found anywhere for the legacy PUR PowerSurvivor 35 watermakers.

Secondly, if you can't find answers to your questions on that website, you can email me at:

powersurvivorhelp <at> ishipaco <dot> com

and I will try to assist you.

It's a pleasure to find a site where I can continue my association with real cruisers and the help I enjoy giving free, just one cruiser to another.
Hi gary, Sry about Ishi , I know what it feels like to lose a boat.

I've read ur books etc. On the 40e but cant find the answer anywhere. I'm glad to hear from you on this site. My 40e started burping at the relief valve periodically and the production dropped way down. I noticed that the product line was drawing water back in then out again with higher ppms then usual. The relief valve. would actually pop up and spray a little water now and then. Could this be the spool valve? (what is that anyway)?
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 05:26   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

sailalibi:
Since Gary hasn’t logged on to CF since February 16, 2013, you might want to try to contact him directly.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...member&u=36204

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 11:08   #95
TEV

Boat: Mariner Neptune 41

Hi, I've tried emailing Gary with questions and also no reply. Hope all is well.
TEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 14:35   #96
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Now we are also Katadyn distributors as well. I'm taking some time to get things organized and up to speed but if you have any questions I can get the answers for you.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 17:47   #97

Boat: 34' Aloha sloop, S/V Ishi (deceased)

Hi, all:

My apoligies for being so slow to respond. I've been in Mexico for the last three weeks, far from internet and email, but lots of good rum and music. Normally I do monitor the net from time to time, but don't check in unless I'm asked a question. Usually I'm available, but lately I've been feeling a bit like the Maytag repairman!

To Sailalibi: Your problem is not likely to be the spool (shuttle) valve; that's buried inside the pump body and really shouldn't be messed with unless you know what you're doing and have the right tools.

Your symptoms sound like either a damaged poppet valve (check the o-ring on them carefully) or the pressure relief valve itself. I'd check those things first after, of course, you've confirmed that your intake and reject thruhull valves are open.

Is there any thru-flow of seawater at all? How much product water are you getting, if any? What ppms are you getting with it? It's hard to diagnose more accurately without more info.

Let me know what you find. I should be around for awhile to respond.

--Gary
ishipaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 18:29   #98

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

We have just picked up a 160E watermaker with issues very very cheaply.

Both the gearbox on the end of the motor and the right angle crank drive unit were leaking oil. The (non technical) PO was quoted $1800 for a new motor and drive unit so I picked it up for not a lot of money

OIL..well not really what was in there was CRUD that once was oil.

All cleaned out now.

I am a Rolls Royce trained engineer so no problems fixing these issues.

I have replaced all of the seals and I am just waiting on the arrival of the lip seal on the end of the gearbox where it goes into the right angle crank unit. I am going to use hypoid 80 oil in both units.

Sadly while there is lots of info on the desalination side there is little about the mechanical drive side.

Not that this matters as I love a challenge and it is 99% repaired now and I am almost ready to install.

However it did not come with any prefilters and I was going to put in 5 and 30 micron filter.

Also add a boost pump. which is the reason I am writing here.

I have sitting doing nothing two fairly powerful Jabsco 6.2 GPM Rotary Vane Pumps but was wondering if one of these would be too powerful for the 160E and that I should get a centrifugal pump which wont have a positive displacement?

Thoughts, advice appreciated

I found this one on Ebay at a very nice price,what do you think?

ZKSJ DC 12V 1 1A 13 2W Brushless Magnetic Drive Centrifugal Submersible Oil Wate | eBay

Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 18:56   #99

Boat: 34' Aloha sloop, S/V Ishi (deceased)

David:

Be advised that I received and read your email before learning of your post here on the forum. I responded at some length in my reply to that email. Let me know if you have any more questions, and feel free to share any of the info I sent you on this forum.

Cheers,
Gary
S/V Ishi
ishipaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 18:50   #100
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

In 2004 I bought a 35 from a watermaker shop in Ft Lauderdale they had reconditioned. It had been fitted with a membrane they supposedly had made for them not a katadyn authorized membrane. Does anyone know if these are still available. I jut bought another 35 I'm pretty sure will need a new membrane, but I'm going to test it with some aquarium salt water first to see.
Old 12-05-2015, 14:03   #101

Boat: Storfidra25

Hallo this is Klaus,

I am a sailor from Germany and now i am living a little time in the States (Saint
Paul/ Minnesota) On my boat I have a PUR 35 Power Survivor. To get sparreparts for this watermaker is not easy in Germany. Now I see a lot of 35 manual survivors in ebay. I think from army.
Do any buddy now if I can use the pump of this for my power survivor? I am also interested in used parts of the 35 power survivor. Feel free to make offers.

Regards and sorry for my bad english

Klaus
fidra88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 14:12   #102
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I have a 35 power survivor, and an unopened new membrane and the rebuild kit. The water maker was on the boat when we bought it. I removed it from the boat as I didn't like the installation location, and while I had it out I ordered and imported a new membrane and rebuild kit.

Now, a year later, we've decided to buy a much bigger water maker. I never re-installed the PUR35 and haven't used the rebuild kit or even opened it. I don't know whether to keep this 35 as a backup or not. Is there any market for used ones?
Old 12-05-2015, 14:25   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I have a 35 power survivor, and an unopened new membrane and the rebuild kit. The water maker was on the boat when we bought it. I removed it from the boat as I didn't like the installation location, and while I had it out I ordered and imported a new membrane and rebuild kit.

Now, a year later, we've decided to buy a much bigger water maker. I never re-installed the PUR35 and haven't used the rebuild kit or even opened it. I don't know whether to keep this 35 as a backup or not. Is there any market for used ones?
New, unused military surplus units on eBay for $300.00 so hard to get much more than that for one of these unless tested and/or overhauled and working.

I would keep it as a backup for the ditch bag if you ever plan on going far from land.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 14:35   #104
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidra88 View Post
Hallo this is Klaus,

I am a sailor from Germany and now i am living a little time in the States (Saint
Paul/ Minnesota) On my boat I have a PUR 35 Power Survivor. To get sparreparts for this watermaker is not easy in Germany. Now I see a lot of 35 manual survivors in ebay. I think from army.
Do any buddy now if I can use the pump of this for my power survivor? I am also interested in used parts of the 35 power survivor. Feel free to make offers.

Regards and sorry for my bad english

Klaus
Klaus, Hallo und Willkommen.

I purchased several of these units from a military surplus dealer. They were brand new, unused in perfect condition but several years old. From all information I have they are identical to the new units and the parts are interchangeable. You can buy new membranes from www.defender.com if you want a new membrane.

I think I have one unused military surplus model left that I would sell if you want it for parts. I inspected it and all the handles, case, pins and external parts are brand new, not even a scratch. I did not test the unit so don't know about the membrane, seals and o-rings. If you are interested I will sell it at my cost plus shipping.

I had a discussion with a forum member that is an expert on the PUR/Katadyn water makers and he thinks that even though the membrane is many years old, as long as it was sealed and unused then there is a good chance it is still good.

Even so, before I go on an ocean passage where this will be my emergency kit I will test it carefully and probably buy a new membrane.

By the way, your English is great. Much better than most Americans can speak German.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 14:53   #105

Boat: Storfidra25

Thank for the answers,
i will order an 35 manual for 199 $ on ebay. Its original and unused. Then I will have a look and test it out in Juli when i am back in Germany.
With a little good will it can work.

And if some one here in the states has some parts please send me a message.

regards

KLaus
fidra88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
katadyn, repairs, troubleshooting, watermaker