Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2014, 14:35   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Pump: faulty or just crazy loud

I have been sent a Jabsco PAR-MAX 3.5 to replace a freshwater pump that failed.

Connected easily... nice even flow... but crazy loud. Loudest 12v pump I have heard. My wife is afraid to turn on the water.

Before I send it back, have to ask if this is normal for these pumps. Did I get a bad one or should I just avoid Jabsco pumps?
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 14:52   #2

Boat: Wibo 1100 36 ft
Re: Pump: faulty or just crazy loud

Air bubbles?
Draikhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 15:00   #3

Boat: Tayana 37

Do you think that might do it? Didn't think that it might be an airlock, but suppose it's possible.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 15:07   #4

Boat: Wibo 1100 36 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by foojin View Post
Do you think that might do it? Didn't think that it might be an airlock, but suppose it's possible.
The water pump I use makes a noise like it has a broken bearing if there's air inside. Without air it's very quiet.
Draikhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 10:12   #5

i have used FLOJET pumps for many years. i like the easy way the hoses connect, etc, and the pumps work a long time...i have found with most of the various 12v potable water pumps in the last 35+ years, it`s the little on/off pressure sw on the front. [this is a repeat i`ve sent in the past] that little switch i`ve found, is usually the problem! [and air in the system is very noisy!] many moons ago, i bought a 'SQUARE D' well pump sw at ACE, they are made for pumps on land, as they use ac current...found they work on 12v as well! the price was kinda steep, $12 15 yrs ago, put a tee in the pressure line, etc...just follow the directions! so now i buy the flojet 3.5 gpm washdown pump, and use the square d sw...oh, and new points for well pump sw is a whopping $5!! it`s so simple, it`s scary! i also have a 4 gallon pressure tank i got at home depoe for $35...has the bladder, etc, they`re not expensive like the stainless tanks the marine stores sell, but only last about 30+ years!...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 10:24   #6

Boat: Ted Hood Expedition 55

We have a Jabsco fresh water pump aboard our boat. Actually, we have two, one as a primary and one as a backup. They are so small it was easy to rig one alongside the other with a simple toggle switch to activate the secondary if the primary fails. It is an "on demand" pump meaning that it does not pressurize a vessel that then provides the water pressure, the pump itself charges the line as water is used. It definitely does make more noise than our other pumps. But it is not "crazy loud". I would suspect an airlock (easy to fix, just detach the outbound line and let it run for a few seconds until a solid stream of water comes out and then reattach the hose). Or, if that does not work, send it back for a bench test by Jabsco over the winter.

Despite the noise, I love the pump. It has been super reliable, it uses very low amps, it is very compact, and it provides good pressure.

Scott
s/v Robin
Robin 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 10:41   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

A loud pump will not quietly empty your tank...and leave you without water.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 12:08   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

My pump is loud when the strainer gets clogged up (normally about the same time the tank goes empty).
Old 19-10-2014, 12:17   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My Jabsco water pump is quite loud. It's even louder because of the way it's mounted now (we had to move it when plumbing in the watermaker.) It's been like this for ten years, and I like it loud -- it tells me if the water tank is empty, if there's a leak, or if someone left a faucet cracked open.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 13:58   #10

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

I think mine is crazy loud and I hate it. It's a Jabsco, pretty sure it is the par-max.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 14:40   #11

clyde I like your thinking out of westMarine-Hahaha !

That pump though didn't have great rating.Prolly luck of the draw ! Just situ of OP's new pump .
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote