Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2020, 02:11   #1

Propane solenoid switching on and off by itself

My propane solenoid keeps switching on and off on it's own. I heard the clicking noise and the panel light switch is coming on and off. The solenoid is located in an enclosed box in the cockpit its not a tight seal as the wood along the lid has rotted. It's been raining all day today so wondering if moisture is the cause? I cant find this problem searching. Any advise appreciated.

Thank you
Caroline
adventuress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 04:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub
Re: Propane solenoid switching on and off by itself

Power to pull in the solenoid and open the LP valve comes from the switch inside the boat near the galley/stove. The soleniod itself can not turn itself on in the locker when that switch is OFF without electricity there no matter how much moisture is messing it up.

If the soleniod switch is OFF then the solenoid has no juice there to operate it. If the switch is left ON and it is turning itself OFF or cycling then that is another matter

But if it is as you say, and the soleniod is turning itself ON then OFF repeatedly when the system was OFF then the issue is at your switch or the panel that the switch is part of if you have a fancy LP sniffer and alarm unit combined with the switch.

The soleniods in these LP safety systems draw quite a bit of power and are not made for continuous use when there is no LP flowing through them. They use the flow of the LP through them to keep cool and if they are left on when you are not using the LP the solenoid will eventually heat up to quite alarmingly warm temperatures. Even a small electromagnet used to pull in a solenoid is basically just an electric coil or basically a tiny heater. Most use 5-6 watts of power to keep the valve open against the spring that shuts it off again when the power is cut. Over time that heat builds up and may eventually burn out the coil if it isn't being cooled by the LP flowing.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 11:32   #3

Thanks BlackHeron, I do have a switch panel with a sniffer and alarm. I kept turning it OFF only to have it turning itself back ON and OFF repeatedly like a ghost. Good to know it draws heat when left ON. Last night it clicked ON after I went to sleep. What should I check for on the panel switch? All the wires connections are tight.
Old 13-10-2020, 12:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

If it is turning on by itself it is almost definitely the switch or the electronic board inside the panel. Is it an ordinary rocker switch or a soft pushbutton built into the panel like ours has -a Xintex S-2A?

A rocker switch or hard button can be replaced but if it is like ours, the switch is a micro contact switch behind the plastic faceplate and is beyond the repair skills of most people unless they are electronics techs. The fault could be anywhere in the electronics of the panel itself.
Old 13-10-2020, 12:59   #5

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

If the electronics can fail and turn on a dangerous system that is poor design. The Webasto style heaters have a simple hardware thermo overheat switch that shuts off power to the fuel pump no matter what the electronics or software say. Our cyclotron had multiple safety interlocks. The final one that controlled whether it could turn on wasn't software and electronics, it was a limit switch on the shielding that directly controlled power to start the beam.

If you determine it is your electronics, I would buy something different.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 20:39   #6

The panel is the same as yours, the Xintex S-2A. It seems to have calmed down today and has remained off since this morning. I will look at the other options for replacing if it starts acting up again. Maybe go with a simple rocker switch. I really appreciate your knowledge on this and taking the time to reply and help me! Thank you!
Old 14-10-2020, 03:10   #7
Senior Cruiser

Make sure the panel is dry. Pop the cover off to remove the mounting screws and remove it from whatever it is mounted to so you can inspect it from the back.

If it is wet, make.sure it is dried out and the sources of water are addressed.
As others have pointed out this is a fairly serious issue. I would keep the LP tank valve shut off when not cooking. A device turning on the gas randomly is the opposite of a safety device. I would contact Xintex Fireboy and see if they will do anything for you. This is a ridiculously expensive piece of kit. It is disappointing that it is failing in such a way.
Old 15-10-2020, 09:05   #8

I have easy access to behind the panel, and checked that everything is dry. Thanks, good idea to keep it off when not in use. I will turn off the breaker powering the panel when I'm not cooking as it's easier to access. Also will try your recommendation for contacting Xintex, it came with the boat but it's worth a try. Thanks so much, very kind of you for being extrememly helpful!
Old 15-10-2020, 10:38   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Fireboy-Xintex, Inc.
O-379 Lake Michigan Dr. NWGrand Rapids, MI 49534
Email: fireboy@fireboy-xintex.com
Phone (616) 735 9380
or
Fireboy-Xintex, LTD
10 Holton Road, Holton Heath Trading Park Poole Dorset BH16 6LT UK
Email: fireboyeu@fireboy-xintex.com
Phone 44 (0) 845 9462

Owner’s Manual ➥ https://www.fireboy-xintex.com/wp-co...1C-R-REV-A.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 10:45   #10

Thank you. I called, they stopped making the product a couple of years ago. 1 year warranty has expired.
Old 27-10-2020, 11:13   #11

New switch is all wired up and stove is working again. Thank you everyone for your advice!

Tags
propane