Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 11:08   #16

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Re: Pressure water system won’t hold pressure, runs continuously

What is the pressure in your accumulators?
When you bled your FW system, did you let the pump charge your accumulators?
Old 05-08-2018, 11:27   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

You'll want to confirm this, but once you've isolated and addressed the leak, I suggest removing the accumulator tank. I'm 99% certain your pump is a variable speed unit, which makes it incompatible with the accumulator.
CommodoreDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:25   #18

Boat: Endeavour 32

Had a similar problem pressure pump running continuously and fresh water filling bilge
Found water heater relief stuck open and not sealing off. Went to hardware store and replaced. Problem solved
Compactorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 16:52   #19

Boat: Cabot 36 - Que Sera

Thanks to all for the additional input and ideas while I was off on my boat; glad to know I'm not the only one with water system issues. A few additional responses and pieces of information:
- the Johnson pump is barely over two years old and worked well for the past two summers. I chose it because of top reviews from Practical Sailor in their most recent freshwater pump review piece
- Johnson recommends that the pump be used in conjunction with an accumulator tank, although I've experimented with bypassing the tank to see if that would help (it made things worse)
- I'll take a careful look at the hot water tank and the input side of the system for leaks, in addition to exploring some of the other suggestions offered here
chuck g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 17:51   #20

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

Is this pump rebuldable? Mine is an older belt driven, par-itt-Jabsco 36950-1000, and I have to rebuild it every couple of years (although I feel this is too frequent): the pulsation dampener, as they call it, looks symmetric on the in and out sides, but one is suction and the other is pushing the water out, so the suction side always gets crumbled and eventually leaks. First symptom is, it wouldn’t prime (I have a deep bilge tank), and sure enough there would be a puddle under the pump after I get it going. A pain to get to, but now it’s part of my spring maintenance.

Anton
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water