Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2022, 04:30   #1

Boat: 2000 Beneteau Oceanis 461
Powersurvivor 160e parts availability?

Hi all - first post here, long time lurker....

Does anyone have a source for parts for the 160e? I have a long-neglected one that I'd like to return to service next year, but before I get too involved I'm concerned that this might be a totally extinct product. I talked to Spectra and they had nothing but membranes to offer.

Thanks!
svcommotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 14:01   #2

Boat: Pearson 40
Re: Powersurvivor 160e parts availability?

The Pure/ Katadyn 160 Model is a great watermaker. Just happened to reinstall one in Fort Lauderdale earlier this year and works wonderful.

Parts are still available through Katadyn.
silverp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 14:24   #3

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I got bad information - but when I called Katadyn they steered me to Spectra tech support in California. Their response to my inquiry was:

Thank you for contacting Tech Support.

That watermaker was discontinued in 2010 and we no longer have any Repair Seal Kits available. We do not service units that are over 12 years old as well.
The membrane is the same membrane that we currently use in our other models so that is still available.
KIT-MB-20F 2.5” x 21” Membrane Kit
If you have better information, I'm all ears.
Old 14-09-2022, 07:29   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcommotion View Post
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I got bad information - but when I called Katadyn they steered me to Spectra tech support in California. Their response to my inquiry was:

Thank you for contacting Tech Support.

That watermaker was discontinued in 2010 and we no longer have any Repair Seal Kits available. We do not service units that are over 12 years old as well.
The membrane is the same membrane that we currently use in our other models so that is still available.
KIT-MB-20F 2.5” x 21” Membrane Kit
If you have better information, I'm all ears.

Katadyn and Spectra are the same company. This is why they directed you to the Spectra tech support. They did discontinue all of the PowerSurvivors except the Katadyn 40E. But I was under the impression that they were still going to service these older units for a time. Let me dig a bit deeper on this for you.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2022, 10:24   #5

Thanks. They provided a bit of additional description for the parts in the repair kit, and using that and the drawings from the documentation it looks like I might be able to source most if not all the o-rings and seals individually from McMaster and others. But what a pain in the neck, and I'll wind up with a lot of extras due to minimum order quantities. Perhaps there's a business opportunity for someone to source and pre-package these parts for those who need them still.

It seems the piston kit is common with the 40 & 80 is still available.....
Old 23-09-2022, 13:20   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Yeah, it looks like Katadyns stock for the 160Es, is dwindling fast. It's just not a viable unit in today's market.
Old 27-09-2022, 12:38   #7

Boat: Pearson 40

Halden Marine Services will be your best bet. Theyre in Fort Lauderdale.

I just bought a pump rebuild kit for our PUR80E unit in April from them.

https://haldenmarineservice.com/
silverp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2023, 11:56   #8

Just wanted to close out this thread with a VERY happy ending and let you know what an amazing company Katadyn is. I received an unsolicited contact from Katadyn's management and with their support was able to get my 160e completely overhauled to like-new condition and returned to service. Watching my 21-year old unit work like new is so great. My 160e is now producing its rated output of around 7 gph at 16.5 amps with tds around 160.

Sadly, I'm told I've absorbed the very last 160e parts there are. So ill run it until it dies and that will be that. But my experience with Katadyn has been truly extraordinary and i will definitely knock on their door when it's time for the next one.
Old 24-03-2023, 12:04   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Yeah, it looks like Katadyns stock for the 160Es, is dwindling fast. It's just not a viable unit in today's market.
Availability for the 35e pump rebuild kits ? Price?
Old 27-03-2023, 16:00   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Availability for the 35e pump rebuild kits ? Price?

Yikes, I just commented on another thread. I hope it's OK to re-post it here.

Re: Katadyn Repair Parts Policy
There's a bit of confusion here. I feel for the OP to be sure. But, the OPs PowerSurvivor35 was discontinued 25 years ago. It was replaced with the Powersurvivor40E which is still in production and repair parts and such are available for that and will be for a long time. The Katadyn 80Es and the 160Es were also discontinued a few years ago as the Spectra VT150 and 200T are twice as energy efficient as these Katadyn's. But there are kits for those available as well. Where there is some confusion may be from the fact that Katadyn also makes the "Survivor35 and the Survivor06. The Survivor35 is not a DC powered system like the old PowerSurvivor35 was that also had a handle to manually operate. The SurvivorO6 and the Survivor35 are a whole different class of watermaker. These are made for the specific intent to be in a ditch bag for emergency in the Life Raft for the ability to make survivability water. There is not a military aircraft, vast amount of cruise ships, commercial airplanes, and airlines, or any vehicle not a boat that has a lift raft, lifeboat etc., that doesn't have one or several of these on board. The fact that they are designed and built for this "Survival" purpose puts Katadyn in a legal position they are quite well aware of. This is why the policy that only Katadyn/Spectra can service these particular two units is in place. We already have too many unqualified watermaker experts out there doing all kinds of crazy things. The last thing we want to do is unleash them on the one thing that will become one of the top three things you'll be glad you have in your ditch bag if you ever need it. This is why they keep these close to the breast. Even after 12 years they become ineligible for serviceable work or authorized certification as well. Ever notice the plethora of O6's and 35's on Ebay? Now you know why. It's not even a buyer beware thing. It is a walk away from them thing. I do feel for the OP and I wish I could help. I made all the right phone calls to see if I could scare a kit up to no avail. But after a 25 year time frame from being discontinued I think it's understandable that nothing nefarious is going on and eventually the support will come to an end after a quarter century.
Old 27-03-2023, 16:21   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Yikes, I just commented on another thread. I hope it's OK to re-post it here.

Re: Katadyn Repair Parts Policy
There's a bit of confusion here. I feel for the OP to be sure. But, the OPs PowerSurvivor35 was discontinued 25 years ago. It was replaced with the Powersurvivor40E which is still in production and repair parts and such are available for that and will be for a long time. The Katadyn 80Es and the 160Es were also discontinued a few years ago as the Spectra VT150 and 200T are twice as energy efficient as these Katadyn's. But there are kits for those available as well. Where there is some confusion may be from the fact that Katadyn also makes the "Survivor35 and the Survivor06. The Survivor35 is not a DC powered system like the old PowerSurvivor35 was that also had a handle to manually operate. The SurvivorO6 and the Survivor35 are a whole different class of watermaker. These are made for the specific intent to be in a ditch bag for emergency in the Life Raft for the ability to make survivability water. There is not a military aircraft, vast amount of cruise ships, commercial airplanes, and airlines, or any vehicle not a boat that has a lift raft, lifeboat etc., that doesn't have one or several of these on board. The fact that they are designed and built for this "Survival" purpose puts Katadyn in a legal position they are quite well aware of. This is why the policy that only Katadyn/Spectra can service these particular two units is in place. We already have too many unqualified watermaker experts out there doing all kinds of crazy things. The last thing we want to do is unleash them on the one thing that will become one of the top three things you'll be glad you have in your ditch bag if you ever need it. This is why they keep these close to the breast. Even after 12 years they become ineligible for serviceable work or authorized certification as well. Ever notice the plethora of O6's and 35's on Ebay? Now you know why. It's not even a buyer beware thing. It is a walk away from them thing. I do feel for the OP and I wish I could help. I made all the right phone calls to see if I could scare a kit up to no avail. But after a 25 year time frame from being discontinued I think it's understandable that nothing nefarious is going on and eventually the support will come to an end after a quarter century.
Ok so the rebuild kit I have is all I will ever have then. But thankfully the 40 uses my same membrane.
Side note I have a powersurvivor35 and a survivor 35 .along with extra motor and gearbox for the power one. Hope thebunit lasts a few more years before a rebuild is needed.

Tags
parts, power