Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2019, 13:23   #16

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Power Survivor 80E alternate membrane options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YACHT TARENTELA View Post
Hi All, not sure if this thread is still being watched but if it is... I am planning to reactivate my Powersurvivor 80E and believe at least one of my membranes is clogged. I tried cleaner and descaler a few years ago without any improvement in production. Originally I was getting 15 L/Hr and this dropped by 50% to 7.5 L/Hr. I pickled the system and have not used it for 5 or 6 years. Now I want to recommission it and have been investigating swapping out the membrane and housing with a generic 2.5 x 21 membrane. This was the first I heard about possibly using a 14" instead of 21". Any advice or direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Al

Go with the 14" membrane. The PS80 pump does not have enough flow for a 21". Water quality would be poorer than with the 14" and membrane life would be shorter.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 00:30   #17

Hey captn Bill would you happen to have any photos of a concerted ps80 and the tubing routing out back to the pump ..should i go with 1000psi pressure vessel? I would like to convert mine to the 2.5x14 as well any information would be much appreciated..the sell the fiberglass Vessels and lower pressure stainless steel any favorites? Thanks in advance ....wwwsailingjomfru.com
~~_/)_~~
Sailing jomfru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 00:34   #18

Hi YACHT TARENTELA..

Any luck with the membrane swap ? I am crossing that same bridge and any info and or photos of swap would be wonderful.. what vessel did you go with.. i was looking at the filmtec sw30 membrane.. look forward to hearing from you... www.sailingjomfru.com
Old 16-09-2020, 05:23   #19

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing jomfru View Post
Hey captn Bill would you happen to have any photos of a concerted ps80 and the tubing routing out back to the pump ..should i go with 1000psi pressure vessel? I would like to convert mine to the 2.5x14 as well any information would be much appreciated..the sell the fiberglass Vessels and lower pressure stainless steel any favorites? Thanks in advance ....wwwsailingjomfru.com
~~_/)_~~

For seawater you must have the 1000 psi pressure vessel. Sorry, but I don't have any photos and I don't have access to a PS80 to get you any. You can download the Katadyn PS80 on line for how to hook up the tubing.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 07:58   #20

Ok thanks
Old 16-02-2021, 10:40   #21

Boat: Morgan 462

I see this Thread is from a few months back... has anyone tried the 14" on the kayde 80e pump that could report back on the results? Any tips? Any Advise?
Linwood4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 11:45   #22

Also very interested in this conversion. Would love to up my output as we are a family of 7 full-time. 3.4 gal/h just isn’t cutting it.
Ankyrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 13:23   #23

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwood4 View Post
I see this Thread is from a few months back... has anyone tried the 14" on the kayde 80e pump that could report back on the results? Any tips? Any Advise?
I switched out the PS80E pressure vessel (and don’t need their stinkin’ proprietary membranes anymore) for a 2514 pressure vessel recently. The new setup seems to work noticeably better (more output) and better quality (lower TDS) than the old PS80E setup. Of course, the old setup had an old membrane which I inherited when I bought my boat.
New DOW Filmtec membranes are far cheaper than Katadyne proprietary membranes, so I am well satisfied with my upgrade:
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 15:10   #24

Boat: Tashiba 40, Robert (Bob) Perry design. Long keel cutter

Hi Andyess, that sounds very interesting, which membranes fit that chamber/vessel? and was there a lot of work involved with different fittings?
My membrane is shot so the watermaker is sitting there gathering dust now. Would be good to bring it back into service with cheaper more available parts.

Cheers, Paul, SV Sister Midnight.
LadyStardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 15:25   #25

Boat: Riva 48

The 80E uses two 1.8 x 12" membranes. I believe HCTI in California makes them for about $150 per piece, you may try giving them a call. That was three years ago, look their number up.

One 2.5 x 14" membrane has more surface than two of the smaller membranes, so this is the max I recommend. Another way to look at it is, the 40E has a 50W motor, the 80E a 100W motor and you need at least 150W to effectively drive a 14" membrane. The pump makes very little difference, one or three piston pump is more or less the same thing. The efficiency is a little different but nothing to worry about.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 19:07   #26

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStardust View Post
Hi Andyess, that sounds very interesting, which membranes fit that chamber/vessel? and was there a lot of work involved with different fittings?
My membrane is shot so the watermaker is sitting there gathering dust now. Would be good to bring it back into service with cheaper more available parts.

Cheers, Paul, SV Sister Midnight.
Hi Paul - were you the beautiful double ender in Marina La Paz over the winter? If you are still somewhere in LaPaz, you could come by (I’m part of the Mogotian fleet) and see my setup.
If not, I’ll look up what I ordered. I recall you also needed new fittings for the industry standard pressure vessel, because the PV has a different high pressure connection from the PowerSurvivor80E. Hoses were re-useable. I know I ordered a set of extra fittings, so if you are in LaPaz you could get those from me and save at least one step.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote