Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2017, 10:40   #1

Boat: 1983 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Power survivor 35

Hi all,
I was given a power survivor 35 in working condition. I'd love to have a water maker on the boat but I'm concerned about getting parts for this unit. I called Katadyn and the don't support it, and won't be specific about which parts might be interchangeable from the manual model. They did say some are definitely not. Since it seems the unit needs to have the seals changed every 1000 hours or so it doesn't seem viable to me if I can't get spares.

Does anyone know of a source for parts or a list of the parts that are interchangeable with the survivor 35?

Any help appreciated.

Steve
Steveschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 17:37   #2

Boat: 1979 Islander 36
Re: Power survivor 35

I just bought an offshore kit for that model. West Marine sells many parts. I did a search at West Marine for 'katadyn'
macman4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 17:43   #3

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Is this the Katadyn or Pur branded Power Survivor 35? I could be wrong, but isn't the membrane enclosure of the 35 essentially the same as the Power Survivor 40, I.e. Same membrane and seals etc?

Sent from mTalk
Old 04-04-2017, 04:08   #4

This is the older Pur Power Survivor. The membrane is definitely the same. I had thought that the pump body was the same as well. It certainly looks identical. The kits WM sells appear to be for the manual model. If a basic seal kit for the newer model fit mine I'd go ahead with the project but Katadyn will not confirm this. They mentioned the manifold was different and a couple other parts. Also if anyone knows if the newer manual pump fits the older Katadyn gearbox would be helpful. I could buy a used manual unit and rebuild the newer pump. The gearbox and motor I have appear to be in good shape.

Steve
Old 15-04-2017, 04:32   #5

Here's the answer to my question.

But first a huge thanks to Gary at ishipaco for his help and guidance.

The 2 units aprear identical except

1- the manifold is different as the PS has the inlet and waste hoses on a quick disconnect, the Survivor hoses thread in. There's no threaded insert in the back of the pump casing to accept the retaining bolt either. The new rebuild kits don't include the o rings for the disconnect. The manifolds fit but the hose sizes are different.

2- the pump front casing has studs on the PS, bolts on the Survivor.

3- the replacement plug in the kit doesn't fit the rear pump body.

So for the most part the kit has the required components and the major Survivor parts such as cylinder and manifold can be used.
Old 20-04-2017, 05:32   #6

It should also be noted that the boss on the pump back that accepts the retaining screw for the quick disconnect interferes with the intake and discharge hoses of the manual model. Just use the pump back without the boss.

Tags
katadyn, watermaker