Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2012, 07:48   #1

Boat: 1976 Catalina 27
Possible to Ose One thru-hull for drain and intake ?

Hi everyone,

I'd like to be able to pump sea water to my galley sink with a manual pump for times when I don't need/want to use up my fresh water. Unfortunately, I only have one through hull in my galley and it is currently the drain for my sink and ice-box. I know people often drain galley sinks to head intakes; would something similar work to pump water into the galley sink instead?
-scooter- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 07:57   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Possible to use one thru-hull for drain and intake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scooter- View Post
Hi everyone,

I'd like to be able to pump sea water to my galley sink with a manual pump for times when I don't need/want to use up my fresh water. Unfortunately, I only have one through hull in my galley and it is currently the drain for my sink and ice-box. I know people often drain galley sinks to head intakes; would something similar work to pump water into the galley sink instead?
Yuck!!!
We use our vanity sink drain as the head intake, but no dishwashing happens there!! Imagine all the stuff that goes down the galley drain from dishwashing etc.....coming back into the sink.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 08:02   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

OK, we have no idea as to what sort of boat you have but if it has a salt water inlet for engine cooling and if it is close enough, then use that as you sea water source in the galley.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 08:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Yuck!!!
We use our vanity sink drain as the head intake, but no dishwashing happens there!! Imagine all the stuff that goes down the galley drain from dishwashing etc.....coming back into the sink.
This is definitely one of my concerns! Short of running a hose around the whole boat to a different through-hull or installing another one, this is the only option, if its even possible.
Old 27-01-2012, 08:09   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Doesn't sound like a good idea. You could end up recirculating what goes down the drain. Next time you haul, install a small thru-hull and seacock forward of the drain thru-hull.
Old 27-01-2012, 08:24   #6

Quote:
This is definitely one of my concerns! Short of running a hose around the whole boat to a different through-hull or installing another one, this is the only option, if its even possible.
Just how far is the galley from the engine?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 27-01-2012, 08:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
OK, we have no idea as to what sort of boat you have but if it has a salt water inlet for engine cooling and if it is close enough, then use that as you sea water source in the galley.
Thanks for the reply. My boat is a Catalina 27 with the dinette layout, so the galley sink and through-hull is a little forward of mid ship on the port side. The engine is an atomic 4, raw water cooled, but the through-hull is aft (under the cockpit) and on the starboard side. The through-hulls for the head are much closer, but again, on the starboard side.

The floors are basically attached to the hull, so running off any other inlet would require feeding the hose forward (under the v-birth), or aft (behind the engine) in a U, and then running along the port side hull. Maybe not a huge deal, but seems like it would be hard to find and repair a busted hose in a hurry if that hose is 20 ft long and buried behind everything.
Old 27-01-2012, 08:34   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
I know people often drain galley sinks to head intakes; would something similar work to pump water into the galley sink instead?
I hope that people reading this thread don't get the idea that draining galley sinks to head intakes is a good idea. The word "often" in the sentence quoted above is not accurate.
Old 27-01-2012, 08:39   #9

Thanks Bash,

My bad on that. While trying to figure out if this is possible, I found a few examples of people who have that setup. I couldn't find any examples of how to do what I'm thinking of though.
Old 27-01-2012, 08:40   #10

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Well yes it would work and from your other posts may be the easiest solution.
Old 27-01-2012, 08:47   #11

Wotname, would I need any special valves or anything for this? If I just T off the seacock, I would only be pumping air from the drain unless I plug the it.
Old 27-01-2012, 09:27   #12

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Here's a simple system I use for a small boat.Put a cheapo thru-hull onto a cheapo bucket and jam a hose onto the nipple of that bucket outlet.Put a tap on the end of the hose and lead it into your sink thru a window or the hatch.Now,there's a gravity salt-water system.
If you really like this system,you can elaborate it.
You can fill the bucket before you get into the stinking harbour too.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 09:42   #13

Quote:
Wotname, would I need any special valves or anything for this? If I just T off the seacock, I would only be pumping air from the drain unless I plug the it.
Well assuming you tee off below the waterline (say at or near the seacock), then you will pump water not air.
At least you will pump water until you have pumped the ocean dry
Old 27-01-2012, 09:45   #14

I see no issue using your icebox drain thru hull for your salt water pump... as long as you're not cooking with salt water. I would avoid using an engine intake. I did that once and ocassionally air bubbles would get into the engine intake...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 09:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Well assuming you tee off below the waterline (say at or near the seacock), then you will pump water not air.
At least you will pump water until you have pumped the ocean dry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I see no issue using your icebox drain thru hull for your salt water pump... as long as you're not cooking with salt water.
Thanks for the replies! Cheechako, my icebox drain already T's into this seacock. I think tonight I'll remove the hose the icebox and connect my manual pump to see if that works as is.

Tags
thru hull