Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2022, 00:39   #1

Boat: sailing Shipman 28 / OE36 project
Positioning water tanks

Hi cruisers,

I am refitting a new to me OE36 sailboat from 1976. The boat has a narrow beam of 313cms and longish overhangs, especially in the bow.

https://sailboat.guide/oe-36

I am asking your advice on the tanks placement. I've already positioned the fuel tank - right under the cockpit sole, behind the engine, in the center line of the boat. Fuel tank volume is approx 105 litres and it is already welded together (HDPE). Nothing to change here.
You can see test-fitting the model of the fuel tank in my video https://youtu.be/iq_5IFz4tIk?t=239

Now I am struggling positioning water tanks. My first idea was to purchase Osculati PE tanks shaped to fit under stb and port bunks. Unfortunately no production tanks fit the space. The bunks are narrow and there is not much space to put tanks there.

I've left with 2 options where to place the water tanks

- under the V-berth, where I can fit a triangular shaped hard tank of 75 litres. Available on the shelf in the shop. Not too expensive, easy to clean.
But I really don't like the idea of the weight there in the front. Even worse considering the ground tackle in the bow and long overhang.

-on both sides next to fuel tank. How would it affect handling having all weight behind the keel? Fuel tank with 100 litres approx 125kgs, engine 150kgs, 2 water tanks say 60 litres, 80kgs each. These have to be custom made hard tanks or flexible bladders.

What would you do?
mait is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tanks, water