Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2006, 15:12   #1

Boat: H28
Poor Man's Watermaker ?

I have never paid much attention to watermakers as they are a bit outside my budget, but there is a man here in Tauranga (unfortunately away cruising the islands at the moment) who has built his own, apparently from a commercially produced membrane and a high pressure pump from a small waterblaster. I can't verify it, but his machine is reputed to make 30 litres/hour and cost him under NZD200.
Would anyone have any ideas?....does this sound too good to be true?

Regards, Joke & Chris
Chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 15:52   #2

Boat: C&C 27
I"ll cehck with a friend who just returned from Belize. He made one from parts he purchased at the local industrial supply. I"m not sure it was as efficient as a Spectra but ...
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 16:57   #3

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Seems to me, the Pardey's at some point used a pressure cooker to create fresh water from salt.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 20:11   #4

Boat: now floating easy37
this is something that i would definitely be interested in as i am currently building my own fridge to get the cooling power versus insulation that i want, i have however been researching watermakers as well and they are very expensive 9-12000 for only about 20-40l per hour now as a fairly handy person i cannot see what would be so hard in the actual making of one of these witht the added benfit of knowing exactly how the thing worked
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 21:01   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48
Seems to me, the Pardey's at some point used a pressure cooker to create fresh water from salt.
Since you can use a pressure cooker as a still -- and some people still think that baking bread is a pressure cooker's main strength -- using it as a watermarker would be less involved.
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 22:41   #6

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Water maker

Louis Riel has built a water maker. He is in BC Canada and he descibes how to make it in his book about building a better boat. He has been on this list. It is easiest to find info on this from the origami site on Yahoo.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:45   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
The expensive parts are the high pressure pump (???? $400 and more ???) and the membrane ($200). Everything else can be had pretty reasonably.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:48   #8

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Harbour freight salvage has a couple of pressure washers for less then $100, might be worth a look.

The trouble with the pressure washer based water maker (IMHO) is the amount of current it takes to run the motor. I guess if you had a big boat, you would have a genator that would be up to the task, but running a pressure washer off of an inverter would require a pretty big inverter.... and the associated cost, and space.

I see lots of adds for plans for pressure washer based water makers on E-Bay.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:28   #9

Boat: Columbia 43--Wa'a Nui
Ahoy you Salty Dogs and Cats...

Check out this site. http://www.svquintessence.com/watermakerintro It's great. I gives you all the info you need to build your own, including where to find the parts and $$ for each. Really cool. When I get to that "Watermaker" entry on my list of "wishes" I will certainly be making my own!!
Aloha, Mike

http://www.svquintessence.com/watermakerintro
Old 12-08-2006, 03:07   #10

Boat: C&C 27
SK Watermaker site has some good information also.
http://www.skwatermakers.net/
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 19:51   #11

Boat: now floating easy37
the site about making your own water was good however i dont have a large generator or big diesel motor does anyone know of any sites that deal with pumps small enough for dc motors
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 12:18   #12

Boat: Hunter 42
I am selling the plans on ebay for the watermaker I built for my boat. I saved a bundle and its reliable. Look for bob46777 under watermakers.
bob46777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 13:09   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
There was a thread on this subject on the SSCA forum that has some good information.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 13:14   #14

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
H2o for a small boat without a hottub, or washing machine

Sean,

Quote:
the site about making your own water was good however i dont have a large generator or big diesel motor does anyone know of any sites that deal with pumps small enough for dc motors
?

There in lays the rub. The problem is that most of the watermakers on the market are geared twords the big boat market with lots of amps to spare. I have not found the watermaker you are refering to, but would love to figure something out. I would like something like a DC powered PUR -06 that would satisfy drinking / cooking needs for a small crew on a small boat without a hottub, or washing machine.

I pruchased a used PUR-80, with the thought of adapting it to a lower current DC motor that would make less water. The problem is that you need a given flow, at a given pressure and that just requires a lot of power. Easier to develop the required current at a higher voltage (like 115VAC then it is to get the amps in DC. Either way, the load is nearly the same.

I would like to figure out a low volume, effecient H2O maker, that would fit on a small crusing boat...... oh yea, and somehting I did not have to squeeze by hand for hours on end when I am thirsty...
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 13:15   #15

Boat: Hunter 42
If you know how watermakers work you can build any size you want.
bob46777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker