Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2013, 07:02   #1

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Poly-x sanition hose review?

Hi everyone.

Im going to be changing out a few stinky hoses, has any one had any experiance with Shields Poly-X hose . I know its not cheap but I really never want to do this again .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 07:08   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Re: Poly-x sanition hose review?

If you really never want to do it again, use PVC pipe. I don't care what hose you use, it will eventually stink. PVC pipe will NEVER stink. Period.
SVRapture40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 07:17   #3

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I was thinking of that, the hose option will be an easier fix , bends more .

Practical Sailor loves the stuff and gives it a thumbs up , just like to hear of peoples experiences , forums are great for that.

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 07:37   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

PVC is great if you can fit it in the boat. My setup has enough twists, turns and bends to give Rube Goldberg nightmares just thinking about PVC.

Don't know about Poly-X. First I've ever heard of it. The standard for years has been Trident 101 (black) or 102 (white). If I recall this is what Peg Hall recommends.

One way to minimize odors, don't let waste sit in the hoses. Flush, flush, flush.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 07:46   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

The flush, flush, flush idea is great if you are off shore or out of the US. But when required to use a holding tank, it is not feasible and will most definitely leave foul smelling "liquid" in the hose pretty much all of the time (unless you have a power boat and your holding tank inlet is below the level of the head discharge).
SVRapture40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 07:47   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Skipmac is right, the key to preventing odors from permeating the hose is to flush long enough that only clean water is left in the hose.

If the installation requires a lot of bends, the Raritan Saniflex hose is much more flexible than Trident 101 or 102 and seems to be just as good.
Link: Raritan SANI-FLEX Odor Shield Hose 1-1/2"
Old 25-11-2013, 08:13   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Like Hopcar said. One does have to deal with the holding tank but still can flush the head enough to move all the waste to the tank and leave the lines clear.

Hopcar wish I had heard about the Raritan hose sooner. Already stocked up on the Trident and have to say it seems only a little more flexible than PVC (but then I have been know to exaggerate but it is still pretty stiff hose_.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 08:38   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Skipmac, As you're fighting that Trident hose into place you just remember how much money you saved. The Raritan hose is kind of pricey.

"The flush, flush, flush idea is great if you are off shore or out of the US. But when required to use a holding tank, it is not feasible and will most definitely leave foul smelling "liquid" in the hose pretty much all of the time..."

Holding tank capacity is certainly a consideration. If you need to extend your holding tank range, at least give it one good flush a day so the stuff doesn't have a chance to dry out and harden in the hose. If you can't use PVC pipe and you can't clear the hose, resign your self to replacing the hose every five years or so.
Old 25-11-2013, 09:00   #9

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Maybe these two links will help you with your project using Hose or PVC

Sewage Hose or PVC Pipe ? PVC Piping Method

Sewage Hose or PVC Pipe ? Hose Foil Tape Method
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 09:12   #10

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Here is what Peggy has to say about Shields Poly-X hose

SailboatOwners.com - View Single Post - What sanitation hose do you recomend?
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 09:33   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Yup, Peggy has her opinions. Very experienced, of course.

Yes, I have had Poly-X on board for over 2 years, along side all of the other characters listed in this thread. I have examined other installations as many as 4 years old. Yes, that is relatively young in the scheme of things. On the other hand, we dissected all of these hoses after 2-years of constant sewage-filled exposure and were impressed by what we found, particularly Trident and Poly-X. Will it outlast Trident 101/102? Well, that's a tall order and will take more time in the field. Is it a better value than Trident. No, Trident is definitely the top value pick.

The reality is these premium hoses are all VERY durable. It's the cheap white vinyl that fails.

Two other thoughts:
  • Warm the work area before beginning. A lot. All of these hoses will work more easily when warm.
  • Don't bend too sharp. All of them can kink, if not immediately, over time. Add a 90 if there is any question.
  • Mix and match if need be. There is no reason you can't use more than one type, particularly if there is one run that is tough. Why not use Raritan hose where it needs to snake, Trident where abrasion and economy matter, and Poly-X where cleaning matters? Yeah, that's and exaggeration, but certainly mixing 2 types could make sense. The Rartian hose really is a joy to work with in tight spots.
Sail Delmarva: The Easy Button
Old 25-11-2013, 16:08   #12

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
PVC is great if you can fit it in the boat. My setup has enough twists, turns and bends to give Rube Goldberg nightmares just thinking about PVC.
It is easier than you think. Since it is soooooo inexpensive, just drop $30 at the hardware store and load up on 30*, 45* and 60* (90* if you must) elbows and some pipe. Back on the boat, rough out the straight runs with pipe, cut a bunch of 4" tail pieces of pipe, then start trying different combinations of elbows and tail pipe leaving them all loose to twist and turn as you make the system connection. When it is all perfect, see which individual components you can consolidate and remove, then put indexing marks across all joins. Start glueing in place using the indexing marks to keep them aligned.

It really is easy, and it will never stink. If it does start to calcify and plug up after many years, another $15 at Home Depot (you now know exactly which pieces and how many you need) and you can do it faster the second time.

I am done paying loads of money and wresting with stiff hose. Putting PVC in our boat was one of the best things we ever did.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 16:33   #13

Boat: Rhodes, Chesapeake, 32
I used poly x. Install was a breeze, easiest boss in any diameter I have worked with. Still rebuilding on the hard so not sure the odor effects. From what I read it's the industries best.

Would have used PVC, but I only needed 3 feet total and the PVC to hose connections at my diaphragm pump would have made more connections than simply using poly x.
Ketchgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 19:43   #14

Boat: Formosa 51

I used the poly x for the simple fact that i wanted to reduce in-line connections from head to holding tank. Although pvc was a good odor option, i felt the number of connections needed to get around the bends were justification enough to use a single run of hose. Not desiring to ever replace the hose, the poly x was a clear choice over the 101 that i was willing to spring for the higher cost. My head to tank run was 16' so i really understand the cost!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:18   #15

Boat: Catana 431

I put Poly-X in our boat and am very happy with it. Yes its expensive, but they apparently give it an odor guarantee for life for a reason (or at least that is what I recall being guaranteed when we bought it...). My experience is simply positive. We've had it in place since early 2009 -- living aboard full time for most of the time since. Fantastic compared to prior hose we've used. Odor was a particular problem for us because we have a ridiculously long hose run to the holding tank (very stupid design). Flushing regularly and all the other suggestions certainly help. But the hose makes a difference. We always had odors in the past at some point. Now we haven't had any in nearly 5 years. ....Just our experience.

all the best,
Arthur
s/v Morning Glory
hoaga is offline   Reply With Quote