Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2009, 08:44   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Plumbing New Water Tank and Watermaker

Hi all;

One of our next projects is adding some water capacity and making ability to Jubilee. I have the watermaker - an old Powersurvivor 35. I have provisionally mounted it in the lazarette.

The water tank I would like to either place under the v-berth or a compartment under the setee. Since we only have about 44 gallons of capacity now, I would like to add 30+ gallons. This means either a large single tank in the vBerth, or two smaller tanks under the settees, one on each side. I think I prefer the vberth option as it seems simpler.

Plumbing this up is what I am not sure about. It is about 20 feet forward of the WM position. The hoses would run down initially, but it seems like a slight incline up to the bow. Is that ok, can the WM push the water that far? Can I just tap this into the supply line? The powersurvivor puts out only 1.2 gal an hour, so not alot of flow.

Another alternative - dump the WM output into the main tank, which is 4 feet away, and then pump the water up to the bow with the sink pump.

Overall, I would say I am confused as to how to do this. What is the best, easiest to install and use?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 09:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
... Plumbing this up is what I am not sure about. It is about 20 feet forward of the WM position. The hoses would run down initially, but it seems like a slight incline up to the bow. Is that ok, can the WM push the water that far? Can I just tap this into the supply line? The powersurvivor puts out only 1.2 gal an hour, so not alot of flow.

Another alternative - dump the WM output into the main tank, which is 4 feet away, and then pump the water up to the bow with the sink pump.
Yes, the PS35 will easily pump fresh product water up a small incline, even over a 20 foot run.

The fresh water should discharge into the top of the receiving water tank.
When shut off, the pump will try to suck a small amount of water back towards the membrane, which could be damaged if there's any residual chlorine in the tank water. Accordingly, it’s preferred to have a freshwater hose longer that 4-5 feet, so that (possible) chlorine cannot reach the membrane.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 09:23   #3
Marine Service Provider

Gord,

I know I have to have some way of getting product water to the WM for cleaning - pickling. Maybe a small additional tank, say 2-3 gallons, for this purpose?

Let's say the forward tank is a bladder type. Could I plump a single 1/2 inch line from that back aft as a supply line, and simply have the WM tee into that?

If I go the WM into main tank route, how long do you think the line needs to be to ensure chlorine does not "travel" down the line? I would think that I would need a charcoal filter in between the WM and tank.

Chris

PS - I don't have the main 30 micon filter for the intake. There is a strainer already, as this is also the line for the galery foot pump and refrigeration, but no filter. Can I simply buy an assembly from a hardware store?

PSS - I don't have the three-way valves either. Any sources for these other than from Katadyn?
Old 30-09-2009, 09:43   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Supply Plumbing:
Connect the inlet three-way valve to the pre-filter housing. Connect the other ports of the valve so that in one position water can be taken in from the seawater intake, and in the other position cleaning or biocide solutions can be drawn in from a bucket, as shown in the plumbing Diagram.

Product Plumbing:
Connect the freshwater three-way valve as shown in the Plumbing Diagram, so that in one position clean water can be directed to a storage tank, and in the other position it can be directed to a sink or cup for sampling during pump start-up.

Reject Plumbing:
Run the reject brine line to any appropriate drain. Be sure it will not be discharged close to the system intake.

All Plumbing:
Use only high quality tubing connectors with use pipe sealant or Teflon tape on the threads at all connections. This will prevent air-locks will will damage or stall the pump.
Three-way valves will be available at any Plumbing supply outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Powersurvivor35 Plumbing Diagram.gif
Views:	2413
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	10231  

Old 30-09-2009, 12:42   #5
Marine Service Provider

Yep, Gord, I have the info above in the owners/install manual. What I am unsure of is the stuff that is not there, the tank specific stuff. They assume that you are going to plumb into an existing tank. I am looking at adding one, that may be only supplies with WM water, or may be not. The whole install gets more complicated, and I am trying to see what I can do to make it as simple as possible.

Do you have any insight to my PS and PSS questions above?

Chris
Old 30-09-2009, 13:47   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What are your " PS and PSS questions above"?

Old 30-09-2009, 13:54   #7
Marine Service Provider

They are in my send post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
What are your " PS and PSS questions above"?
Old 30-09-2009, 14:19   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

PS - I don't have the main 30 micon filter for the intake. There is a strainer already, as this is also the line for the galery foot pump and refrigeration, but no filter. Can I simply buy an assembly from a hardware store?

Yes.

PSS - I don't have the three-way valves either. Any sources for these other than from Katadyn?

Yes, but sorry - I’m a long way from Apex, NC, and don't have a specific source for small plastic valves.

Old 30-09-2009, 14:37   #9
Marine Service Provider

Thank Gord.

Chris

Tags
watermaker