Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2020, 21:55   #1

Plugging weep hole

I have a Johnson water pump">raw water pump that is belt driven. The impeller shaft has a water seal, a spacer washer and a double lip spring seal that would be an oil seal if the pump was shaft driven. My water seal is leaking and as a result there is a fairly steady drip out of the weep hole. I don’t have a spare water seal and will be some time before I can get one. In the meantime, as a temporary fix, I am wondering if there is any reason not to simply plug the weep hole and rely on the oil seal to stop the dripping. It seems to me that the weep hole isn’t necessary if the pump is belt driven as there is no risk of water getting past the oil seal and contaminating the engine oil, nor vice versa and oil getting into the raw water. Is there a flaw in my reasoning??
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:13   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Plugging weep hole

The weep hole also serves to keep the bearings as free of salt water as possible.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:42   #3

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

In addition to SM's observation, seals only work one way; plug the weep hole and water will be injected into whatever is in the space behind the oil seal...

Even without plugging the weep hole, there is a very real possiblity that water will be drawn into the space behind the oil seal. Don't wait very long before rectifying the situation, or you'll be replacing (at least) bearings as well.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:58   #4

Ok, thanks. Will try to find a new water seal ASAP.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug