Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 21:45   #1

Boat: Grand Banks 36
'Plastronga' - Has Anyone Heard of this ?

I am looking for fittings and brass ferrules for a polyethylene or polypropylene tubing labled "Plastronga" Net searches yield a connection to Yorkshire Copper works.
Any Ideas on a source?
pumpcity
pumpcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 16:46   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Where are you looking, what country?

Might that be what is called "PET" or polyethylene terpelate (?) in the US? Using special crimps and special tools to connect it up in household plumbing?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 17:04   #3

I was hoping to find a supply of fittings and ferrules in the USA, but I think it is metric plumbing from the UK, not necessarily PET. The plumbing is on an old GB out of Singapore. Do you know of any plumbing suppliers in the USA that carry metric tubing or tubing fittings? The other source may be Plasson out of Israel.
Old 09-06-2010, 18:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Where are you looking, what country?

Might that be what is called "PET" or polyethylene terpelate (?) in the US? Using special crimps and special tools to connect it up in household plumbing?
Spelled terephthalate. Sorry, I'm in the chemical business and could not resist. I tried to stop myself, I really did but the urge was overwhelming. It was just more than I could stand.

Now that I got that out of my system, I don't think the exact material matters. Bottom line, finding metric fittings of this type in the US will be difficult. You may have to go overseas to find a source. If you don't find help on the forum I may be able to get some info from friends in EU.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 18:24   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Actually, quite appreciated, mac. You know there are some places where I'd have to PAY to learn chemistry.<G>
Old 09-06-2010, 18:27   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Actually, quite appreciated, mac. You know there are some places where I'd have to PAY to learn chemistry.<G>
Don't worry. I'll be happy to bill you. Where should I send the invoice?
Old 09-06-2010, 18:56   #7

I get it. Someone posts a thread and the party begins. Did anyone remember to bring the chips and beer?
Thank you for the info on the piping, although I'm not looking forward to searching for metric equipment in Europe. The piping has lasted a LONG time and I like the elegance of the fittings.
Old 09-06-2010, 20:04   #8

Here is a link that may be useful Copper pipes and connectors for household plumbing

Also keep in mind that the thread of plumbing fittings and pipes in both UK and USA are also measured as BSP (British Standard Pipe) see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...rd_pipe_thread
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 20:17   #9

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpcity View Post
I get it. Someone posts a thread and the party begins. Did anyone remember to bring the chips and beer?
Thank you for the info on the piping, although I'm not looking forward to searching for metric equipment in Europe. The piping has lasted a LONG time and I like the elegance of the fittings.
PC...Take it as a compliment.

Forums are much like a Pub atmosphere..do you want to be the guy all alone at the end of the bar or would you rather be invited to join in with the large group of guys having a good time by the cute girls on the dance floor?

OH wait!....I dont go to those kind of pubs anymore...Never mind.

Carry on!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:11   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpcity View Post
Sorry, did not intend to take away from the seriousness of your inquiry. I did try to make the point that I am in the chemical industry which requires me to deal with pipes, hose, plumbing and fittings of all varieties. I also manage sales world wide and getting US made containers, drums, tanks, isotanks, delivered overseas with proper adapters is a constant problem.

For some commonly used fittings, metric adapters are available in the US but for direct replacement metric fittings for a plumbing system I think it unlikely you will find a supplier in the US. If you are married to your system that is a reality you may have to face. May not be what you want but it could come down to going overseas for parts or replacing the system.

I will repeat my offer to tap into my resources in Europe to help you locate a source. However, I would bet that there are boaters from Europe on the forum that already have experience with your system.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:34   #11

Thank you all again for the help.
Skipmac: Laidback's link to diydata in the UK may work out, but I'm always grateful for any other links that might be more helpful. Why don't I check out the UK and then get back to you if it doesn't pan out.
Thanx,
pumpcity
Old 10-06-2010, 08:11   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Some Googling reveals "Plastronga" to be a brand of compression fittings used (perhaps since the 1950's) on polythene tubing:

"An entirely new fitting, Plastronga, is now being made from a new and stronger polythene for jointing Polyorc. A tubing. The fittings also are resistant ..."

But a more contemporary forum thread FROM THE UK indicates the tubing itself may simply be PVC that can be joined with mundane modern PVC solvent/adhesive and fittings:

Black Plastic Pipe c1970 - DIYnot.com - DIY and Home Improvement=

and, that the pipe may be imperial (inch) rather than metric, so doublecheck the diameter. Canadian plumbers and carpenters routinely use US "inch" sized products rather than metric ones, apparently some pipe infiltrated the UK the same way.

Tags
plastronga