Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2021, 14:16   #1

Boat: Sabre Mk II 28
Plastic holding tank smells on the outside?

I have a 81 Sabre 28 with an old if not original holding tank. When I lift the settee there is definitely a smell... hoses when touched do not smell, when I rub the outside of the tank there is a definite odor.
Do plastic holding tanks eventually need replacing?
TIA everyone.
jlcarreiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 18:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Plastic holding tank smells on the outside?

It's extremely rare for a plastic (PE or PP) tank to permeate...I only know of one "case" and it occurred when the tank was new, due to a mfr'ing error. However odors from other sources can attach themselves to the outside of tank. Permeated hoses are the most common source...I know you said yours are fine when touched, but I recommend that you do the "hot wet rag test" on all of 'em including the vent line: Wet CLEAN rags in HOT water--as hot as you can handle. Wrap each section of hose a clean rag...let it cool, then remove each rag and smell it. If you can't smell anything on that rag, that section of hose is ok...but if you can, that hose has permeated. If they all pass the test, but have recently been replaced, the previous hoses could have transferred odor to the lockers/areas they passed through and everything in them.

Other possible sources: a leaking tank or hose fitting or perhaps a spill when hoses were replaced. A leaking macerator pump...even the bilge if it's in serious need of REAL cleaning.

Finding the source may not be easy and you have my sympathy. I spent two months trying to find the source of odor under my v-berth...I was sure it could NOT be hoses...it hadn't been 90 days since I replaced them. But finally testing 'em was the only thing left to do...and "sho nuff" as we say in the South, those brand new hoses had already permeated.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:54   #3

Re: Plastic holding tank smells on the outside?

And if you haven't got a copy of Peggie's book, JL - get one!

The New Get Rid of Boat Odors
https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...dp/1892399784/

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank