Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2022, 10:18   #1

Peracetic acid for decalcification

Since replacing my toilet and pipework I’ve been using a hydrochloric acid/fresh water solution (overnight, once a week - I'm live-aboard) to reduce calcium build-up. The Hydrochloric acid is in the form of a concrete cleaner bought from a local hardware store. I have no idea what strength or dilution the acid is, but it worked well, even when further diluted by 50% with fresh water, whilst experimenting with calcified parts from the old toilet.

Wearing a different hat, I use a lot of sterilising solution with a peracetic acid 5% content (trade name Percid 5). I’ve noticed, on occasions, that if I spill any on a concrete floor, even when further diluted to a much weaker solution, it fizzes (to use a non-scientific term ).

I don’t have any old calcified parts to test, so was hoping somebody might know if I could use the peracetic instead of the hydrochloric acid, with a similar decalcifying affect.

As an aside, I understand that peracetic acid breaks down to acetic acid and oxygen, and is classed as non-polluting.
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 15:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Peracetic acid for decalcification

Nothing wrong with what you've doing or with peracidic acid, but you'll be just as successful for a lot less money in PREVENTING mineral and uric acid buildup using just plain ol' distilled white vinegar--available from most supermarkets--weekly. Flush an undiluted cupful (100 ml....any more than 200 ml is a waste of good vinegar) all the way through the entire system, followed by about 1/2 liter of clean fresh water after 45-60 minutes.

Distilled white vinegar can also remove mineral buildup, but it's so labor intensive (must be replaced at least hourly--something everyone has tried it and claim it doesn't work have never bothered to learn) that it's not worth the effort.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 15:30   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Heat up your vinegar first lots more effective but once a week ? every couple of months is fine foe me
Old 27-04-2022, 19:35   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We use about 1/2 tablespoon after each flush. Direct discharge where we are. This has adequately prevented buildup, too.

Ann
Old 27-04-2022, 19:39   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Heat up your vinegar first lots more effective but once a week ? every couple of months is fine foe me

First I've ever heard of heating the vinegar. How often to use it depends on how much use the toilet(s) get and where. For the typical "weekend warrior" once a month is prob'ly often enough to prevent buildup...live aboards, especially in warm waters where salt and mineral content is high, should use it more frequently.

--Peggie
Old 27-04-2022, 19:41   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post

First I've ever heard of heating the vinegar. How often to use it depends on how much use the toilet(s) get and where. For the typical "weekend warrior" once a month is prob'ly often enough to prevent buildup...live aboards, especially in warm waters where salt and mineral content is high, should use it more frequently. Any frequency that works for you is all that matters.

--Peggie
Old 28-04-2022, 04:10   #7

Thanks for the guidance, Peggy. Looks like I’m overdoing it a bit in an effort to prevent calcification – I’ll reduce the dosing in line with your suggestion. Oddly, I might actually be buying peracetic for less than vinegar would cost – I need to check that out.
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 04:48   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Skylark has been successful over the past decade using denture cleaning tablets. I just drop 3-4 tablets in the bowl, add hot water and pump it into the outlet pipe and leave it sit.

Doesn't seem to damage the gaskets or the pump lubricant.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 04:55   #9

Boat: Dean 440 Custom Cat

Got to be careful when you hear you loo talking to you in the middle of the night
psahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 06:57   #10

Boat: 1988 Sunward 48' Ketch

Thanks for the interesting and informative comments with varied approaches to preventing and/or reducing uric acid scaling in marine head hose systems.
We recently switched to freshwater flushing, which we hope will totally prevent the problem.
dlane1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 09:44   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Peg, (we have exchanged messages before for which i thank you) the use of vinegar would be greatly enhanced if the tubes were warmed. A chemical reaction doubles in speed for each 7 Deg C . So my suggestion would be to first flush a lot of hot water down the toilet to heat things up and then do the white vinegar treatment.
Andrew
Old 28-04-2022, 12:05   #12

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Have had a small water bottle next to heads with 50/50 vinegar and cheap cooking oil. Squirt a small amount with each use. Cuts the buildup and lubes the internal parts. Have never had an issue using this method for 30 years on various boats.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 11:29   #13

Boat: Columbia 9.6 meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiekeith View Post
Since replacing my toilet and pipework I’ve been using a hydrochloric acid/fresh water solution (overnight, once a week - I'm live-aboard) to reduce calcium build-up. The Hydrochloric acid is in the form of a concrete cleaner bought from a local hardware store. I have no idea what strength or dilution the acid is, but it worked well, even when further diluted by 50% with fresh water, whilst experimenting with calcified parts from the old toilet.

Wearing a different hat, I use a lot of sterilising solution with a peracetic acid 5% content (trade name Percid 5). I’ve noticed, on occasions, that if I spill any on a concrete floor, even when further diluted to a much weaker solution, it fizzes (to use a non-scientific term ).

I don’t have any old calcified parts to test, so was hoping somebody might know if I could use the peracetic instead of the hydrochloric acid, with a similar decalcifying affect.

As an aside, I understand that peracetic acid breaks down to acetic acid and oxygen, and is classed as non-polluting.
In my business, we have an industrial water treatment team that uses peracetic for cleaning pipes.
It's irritating, and it may make spaces below deck smelly.
Check here under SAFETY: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peracetic_acid

If I were to choose, I would follow Peggie's advice and use distilled vinegar, which I may decide to do myself. But since I have been fresh-water flushing for years, and don't have a problem with blockage or odors, I'm thinking there little benefit to acid washing in my case.

Cheers ~ 9.6
Ninedotsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 14:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Nothing wrong with what you've doing or with peracidic acid, but you'll be just as successful for a lot less money in PREVENTING mineral and uric acid buildup using just plain ol' distilled white vinegar--available from most supermarkets--weekly. Flush an undiluted cupful (100 ml....any more than 200 ml is a waste of good vinegar) all the way through the entire system, followed by about 1/2 liter of clean fresh water after 45-60 minutes.

Distilled white vinegar can also remove mineral buildup, but it's so labor intensive (must be replaced at least hourly--something everyone has tried it and claim it doesn't work have never bothered to learn) that it's not worth the effort.

--Peggie
We replaced the hose to the tank on our 45year old Hatteras (PO was plunging!) And following conversation with other long term liveaboards in our marina, we keep a spray bottle of white vinegar beside the saltwater head(we converted midships to freshwater with new toilet.), I also use white vinegar in showers weekly, and pour hydrogen peroxide in shower sumps to break up soap clumps. This was all word of mouth from long termers in our marina... but so far so good 2 years in. After every pumpout I put a quarter cup of Walmart branded Cascade dishwasher powder into holding tank accompanied by 2-3 gallons of fresh water. My pumpouts are relatively painless and I haven't had any odor issues. Cascade works just like expensive 'digestors' to break up tank contents and liquefy it.
rwaldrop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 15:24   #15

Boat: Beneteau 423

Peggy,
Our Beneteau 423 flushes uphill about 3 feet to the top of the holding tank from the joker on the Jabsco manual head pump. Will a cup of vinegar work in this configuration? Should I use muratic or other acid to clear out what has likely built up?

Thanks,
Harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, race