Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2011, 07:08   #1

Boat: Dufour 27
On-Board AC/DC Electric Refrigerator Questions

Hello All,
I have a 1974 Dufour 27 with a front-loading AC/DC electric refrigerator. I seem to be having having issues with the refrigerator’s compressor(brand/manufacture unknown), as the unit's light which is inside the refigerator is on but the unit is not cooling anything I pace inside. Has anyone updated an older onboard refrigerator, or does anyone have experience re-insulating the refrigerator’s space and converting it to a traditional ice box?
I am even thinking of replacing it with a standalone self-contaned electric refigerator.
Open to all comments, suggestion and recomendations.
Thanks,
Dick Paden

S/V Petite Cherie
Severna Park, MD

WeekendSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 07:44   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: On-Board AC/DC Electric Refrigerator Questions

Try leak-testing and regassing it before tossing it out, if you were happy with it before.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 08:03   #3

Re: On-Board AC/DC Electric Refrigerator Questions

I have both a traditional top load ice box and just a regular under-counter fridge like you buy at Walmart or Lowes.

We put a cold plate from West Marine, can't remember the brand, in the ice box and it works great. It is AC/DC and simple to install.

I would almost say build a top loader box and use the cold plate. It holds a lot more than a front loader because you can cram it full and nothing falls out when you open it. It is also very efficient, drawing relatively little electricity. The top load also loses less cold air when you open it, thus adding to the efficiency.

One drawback is that if the beer is at the bottom, you have to dig through all the lunchmeat and other stuff to get to it about 12-24 times a day. (Depending on consumption habits.)

Another drawback is that if your wife is short, (as mine is) you have to get out anything she needs that is not on the top because she will say she can't reach it.

The only real issue we have with the ice box is that it butts up against a bulkhead between the galley and the sailors berth and causes condensation on the bulkhead, which gets on one of the cushions. I'm going to address that problem by moving the cold plate to the opposite side, away from the bulkhead. Hopefully, that works since there is no space between the box and bulkhead to add more insulation.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 08:12   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
For getting stuff from the bottom of the box. I like these suggestions. We use a trash claw. It's a pistol grip with an arm and cable that closes a jaw 3' down the arm when you squeeze. Reusable grocery bags for like items. You pull the bag that has like items.didn't answer the original question
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator