Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 17:55   #1
cruiser

Not just any R134a refrigerant.

Since they scuttled R12 and replaced it with R134a and a myriad of other brews, the refrigeration user has been been hit with sky rocketing refrigerant costs, high servicing costs, inefficiency and confusion. I believe this has led to the situation where we now have refrigerants of dubious quality, some with various additives for this or that reason and sold over the counter in many countries.
To add to the confusion, in some countries R134a is sold as 'agriculture quality', 'industrial quality' etc and then there is also the re-claimed gas, how good or otherwise is that?

Refrigerant gas quality may be of less concern in larger systems but is critical in the micro systems that members here use.
My concern is the cans of R134a are mostly intended for use on car air cons, and that many of these have added gook that can kill a micro system.
Suggest avoiding these off the shelf cans where possible at least the ones with additives.

Best to evacuate properly and NEVER add anything to these micro systems but pure refrigerant and the correct oil, NEVER use tape or sealer on pipe couplings or fittings.

Cheers OzePete Ozefridge | 12 Volt Refrigeration Systems
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 18:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Not just any R134a refrigerant.

Yeah, you have to look real hard too, even in the US where it plentiful, all I could find the other day was refrigerant with dye or leak sealer, and some of it you really had to read the fine print to see it had leak sealer. Some of the mix brands are freeze 12, which is some kind of blend meant I believe as an R-12 replacement, but sold right beside of the 134a.
Virgin R-12 is rare as hens teeth, I have some I brought back from Korea turn of the century as I believe Korea was exempt from the ban, but I didn’t know recycled R-134a was being sold, much less in different forms?
What pray tell is Agricultural refrigerant?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote