Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 10:29   #1

Boat: Dufour 310
Noisy fridge compressor

I have an intermittent problem with my 12v compressor rattling. It works fine but all of a sudden will start rattling. This has gone on for 2 years and is worse on a hot day.

I sounds like the pipes rubbing but I have isolated and rubberised where possible.

I am starting to think it is inside the compressor. If I turn it off for an hour or 2 it runs ok again for a while.

Appreciate any ideas.
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:55   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Noisy fridge compressor

I've heard that before, you can shake the compressor and it will stop for awhile right?
I assume it's some kind of death rattle, but the one that was doing it on me never did die?
If nothing else this will bump the thread waiting for a knowledgeable answer
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:05   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I wonder if your compressor is running hot and by turning it off for a while it gets a chance to cool down. Maybe try running with a fan blowing on the compressor or improving the ventilation to the compressor cabinet. My air conditioner is doing that but I think like a64pilot said its a death rattle. A slow painful death.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 17:35   #4
Marine Service Provider

There are a number of reasons why compressors can produce rattling noises, weak support springs inside compressor, refrigerant gas insufficiently condensed before reaching expansion device, or too much refrigerant in system. With out knowing the type 12 volt compressor and its manufacture or previous history there is little advice to be given other than to ignore the sometimes rattling noise.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor