Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2020, 16:28   #1

Boat: 1976 Westsail 42
no more deck water fill?

Installing a dock water feed line - threaded hose fittings.

Goal is to have the entire system on the dock line with full pressure. Note earlier PEX question. This leaves me with the option of getting rid of my deck fills. I should be able to properly valve a fill path where I can reverse flow my lines to fill my tanks.

Currently the setup is a deck accessed pipe manifold that fills to 1.5" tubes to the tops of the tanks.

Is there any reason to keep the deck fill?
theller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 16:39   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: no more deck water fill?

Belt and suspenders, still leaves you or a future owner the option and you don't have to figure how to fix the hole where the deck fill used to be.
Also I've seen people "blow out" the water tanks on RV's just by the pressure of a hose into an open fill similar to a deck fill, water tanks cannot withstand internal pressure over a couple lbs.. so careful with your tank fill systems.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 16:58   #3

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I have a 1984 Camper & Nicholson with a cabin side mounted hose fitting to a pressure regulator to the tanks and pressure water system. This is easy old tech. Donít over think it.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 17:14   #4

are there any fittings to convert a deck fill plate to a dock water connection? my fill plate is dock side, while my dock water is on the other side - so I have to run a hose across the swim platform. Wondering about changing the deck fill plate to be a dock water - similar to the OP question.. issue being deck fill plate basically points the hose up, and would need strain relief or unique curves fitting/adapter...
markrsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 09:25   #5

Boat: Morgan 462

Leave the original tank fill inlets and all connected hoses to the tanks in place, by all means, for resale value and cosmetics.

If you must have dock water pressure, never forget to turn off the dock water when leaving the boat.

Connecting to dock water pressure, even with a low pressure regulator, is an accident waiting to happen.

IMHO, I can't understand why it's such a big issue to simply fill the tanks as needed.
Old 19-09-2020, 09:27   #6

Boat: Hunter 46

Keep the deck fill connections, tie-in the new shore water line downstream of the water pump (that will simplify installation) and install brass quick disconnect fittings on the boat shore water connection and shore water supply hose. The quick disconnect fittings will reduce the stress on the boat hose fitting and ensure it is always leak free. That is what I had on both a motor yacht and on my Hunter 46 sailboat.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 09:39   #7

I would agree with leaving them as they are.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 09:53   #8

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

It's convenient not to have to fill your water tank(s) but if you experience an issue with the system (and it happens) you will be putting in water faster than your bilge pump can remove it and you'll have a nice submarine.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 09:57   #9

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

I've used that arrangement for 35 years with just one problem ever. Once, when the tanks were full, I turned off the incoming water valve in the boat before turning it off on the dock. Big mistake! The pressure blew a hose off under the galley sink and sprayed water all over the place. By the time I got to the tap on the dock and turned it off I had a heck of a mess below. Now I have one of those cheap plastic ball valve things on the boat end of the garden hose from the dock and, as the last tank approaches full, I go out and turn it off first. THEN I can turn off the dock tap and inside valves at my leisure without worrying about blowing a hose off somewhere.

And, contrary to an earlier opinion, the plumbing for your fill system needs to be on the UPSTREAM side of the pump. If it's on the downstream side the fill water would have to go backwards through the pump - and, because of the valves in the pump, it won't - or you will wreck the pump.

And NEVER leave the dock water on and connected to the boat when you are not aboard! I've seen two boats sunk with lovely fresh water when they blew an interior hose while connected to the shoreside water supply. One was a 200'+ ferry!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 10:09   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

Adding to the choir. Do not use shore connected water on your boat.

According to Boat/US more boats are sunk in marinas with fresh water than boats out and about.

Just fill your tanks and use the boat's pressure water system.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 10:14   #11
DoÖ or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Adding to the choir. Do not use shore connected water on your boat.

According to Boat/US more boats are sunk in marinas with fresh water than boats out and about.

Just fill your tanks and use the boat's pressure water system.
You were just ahead of me. Do NOT connect the boat to shore water as it can sink your boat. The tank fill is a safety.
Old 19-09-2020, 10:31   #12

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

So you have your own dedicated dock water Tap on your side of the dock so your hose isnt trailing across the pontoon as a trip hazard for everyone else? Nice.
When we visit a site in our RV which has that facility, we use a special plastic jerrycan with an internal ballcock valve plus a 12volt submersible pump with integral water hose leading into our normal water intake. Total cost maybe £25? The pump is actuated when we open a tap in the vehicle. On a boat you would wire it to operate with your pressure pump i guess. The ball valve operates when the level in the jerry can drops & that water can completely separates mains water pressure from the boat systems.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 10:33   #13

Make sure your water hose is food grade.
Old 19-09-2020, 10:43   #14

When the boat is unattended For any time you always turn off the Domestic battery power, right? So your pressure pum wont operate. And if you get a gravity water leak internally your automatic bilge pump will be much more powerful than the water intake pump so No risk of sinking as your Auto smart battery charger is on dock shore power. Its all systems linked...
Old 19-09-2020, 10:47   #15

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by theller View Post
...Goal is to have the entire system on the dock line with full pressure... Is there any reason to keep the deck fill?
Aside from the obvious danger of the shore water supply filling and sinking the boat we were (and are), from our point of view, opposed to that type of shore water supply set-up.

1. We want the boat ready to go at all times, so as to reduce the dis-incentives to using it. Disconnecting the shore side supply is just one more connection to land. "Oh, there are so many things to do, let's just not go out today"

2. We want all the systems on the boat to work just well at anchor or at sea as they do at the dock (again to remove any dis-incentives for leaving the dock). Having one set up for the dock side use and another for at sea or anchor risks, "Oh, let's don't go out, you know the water system is so bad when we are not at the dock"

3. We want essential systems to be regularly exercised and proven so that they work when needed. "Well darn, that pump worked last time" and, "Why does that tank stink so much?"

Sailboats should be used. Make it usable.
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, water