Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2019, 20:09   #1

No flow from Spectra Newport 400 water maker

Hi guys,

I have a new to me, 2004 Riviera 40with a Spectra Newport 400 water maker fitted. The unit shows 185hr of operation in total and I am unsure of what usage or maintenance the unit has had.

I have changed the pre filters and cleaned the sea strainer but cannot get the unit to pump sea water. Seacock is open, pressure relief valve open and pump making noise. I do get water flowing via the brine discharge when doing a fresh water flush so I don't think it is a pump priming issue.

I suspect the flow when fresh water flushing is due to the main house sea water pump rather than the pump from the water maker.

Can anyone shed any light on this? It would seem to be a problem with the pump although it does sound to be running normally.

AB
aquabogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 20:23   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: No flow from Spectra Newport 400 water maker

Try doing the fresh water pressurized flush with the pump running. You should hear it get primed. Then with it running turn the valve back to seawater. See if this starts the prime. Probably need the high pressure release open too.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:16   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabogan View Post
Hi guys,

I have a new to me, 2004 Riviera 40with a Spectra Newport 400 water maker fitted. The unit shows 185hr of operation in total and I am unsure of what usage or maintenance the unit has had.

I have changed the pre filters and cleaned the sea strainer but cannot get the unit to pump sea water. Seacock is open, pressure relief valve open and pump making noise. I do get water flowing via the brine discharge when doing a fresh water flush so I don't think it is a pump priming issue.

I suspect the flow when fresh water flushing is due to the main house sea water pump rather than the pump from the water maker.

Can anyone shed any light on this? It would seem to be a problem with the pump although it does sound to be running normally.

AB

Sounds like you feed pump is decoupling. When this happens your feed pump motor will still run but it will not turn the pump.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:11   #4

Hi guys thanks for the reply.

The pump was decoupling. It is a Procon Pump head PL-PMP140175E. The brass coupling tang is broken with bits stuck in the pump head and motor. Pump head looks to be seized. I am in Tasmania, Australia and I suspect finding a local replacement will be difficult. I also suspect this is an older style pump. Is there a new motor/pump which would be a bolt in replacement or should I try to chase down a new pump head and tang and extra the brass coupling (looks like it won't be easy!)

Thanks again,

AB
aquabogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:56   #5

Hi. You can source parts and advice from Southern Seas Marine. Australian distributor for Spectra.
STELLA31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:21   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

This may be a tough nut to crack finding a replacement pump. Spectra long ago discontinued the use of this type of drive on it's pumps and no longer supports it's replacement. You have a direct drive pump now, the replacement would be a new magnetic drive pump. This would mean the replacement of both the feed pump and the motor. But it will bolt in as a direct replacemnt for your current pump and motor.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newport, water