Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 04:21   #1

New Sink Installation

Good day, 1st I want to say that I've been reading lots of threads & there's lots of very good info available. Great Web Site.
I have a Thundercraft CC Magnum 230 and decided to install a sink (new installation). I've bought a flexible Vetus Tank (because of space). The Tank will be install aprox 5 feet from the sink, below the sink level. I plan to buy a Shurflo Water Pump 3 gpm. Is that to much flow for one sink? I've read also that a Foot Pump is also very good. I looked in the Defender's Catalogue and could'nt find anything related to Foot Pump. I would like to have your opinion on witch way to go. Also, I plan to install a below the water line SS or Bronze evacuating 1-1/4'' Drain. Do I have to install a sort of back water valve beetween the sink drain & the Evacuating drain so the water from the river does not come back in the sink.
Thank you for your help
HPLou
HPLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:43   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: New Sink Installation

Welcome aboard.

we have a powerful electric pump - so powerful it leaks all over the show before it gets to the tap. I have been begging hubby to switch to a foot pump - that's only a matter of time, and he knows it!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

For foot pumps, these guys are pretty good
Marine : Whale Pumps 12V Henderson Plumbing Bilge Diaphragm Submersible Pressure Water Systems Marine Caravan RV Shower Drain Portable Sanitation Purging Groundwater Solutions Voltage Electric
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:19   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Welcome to CF!
Water consumption is proportionate to the GPM flow.... Higher pressure through the same orifice will yield more GPM, so if you only have a small potable water source, a small electric or foot pump would make the most sense.

You most certainly should have a seacock or valve on the drain..... a 1 1/4" hole will sink a boat fast without a valve to stem the flow! Use a rated "critical water" hose on the drain, double clamp, and inspect it from time to time, and you're good-to-go!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:46   #5

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
a chance to be simple

For a contrary view, I took the water tank out of my boat, and the faucet off the sink. It's so hard to get rid of 100% of the antifreeze, the pumped water could only be used for washing. The space for the tank holds a lot of water bottles, and it's easy to pour them into the sink. (Perhaps I'll make a movable metal tank with a faucet that I can heat on the stove, but using a kettle works perfectly.) There's no pump to deal with, no draw on the batteries. What did I gain by having water slowly come out of the faucet? I still have the drain, but if I didn't I'd just use the cockpit scuppers. I don't cruise long distances, but I'm on board at least 30-40 nights per year. My old soft water tank, by the way, serves nicely as a large sun-heated shower.
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:36   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Welcome to CF!
Water consumption is proportionate to the GPM flow..
The current shore-side standard is for each faucet to have a flow rate of no more than 2.2 GPM at 60 PSI.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:53   #7

Thank You very much for your replies. After reading all I'm leanning towards a Foot Pump. Thank you nigel1 for the link.
Surrymark in your reply you mentionned "cockpit Scuppers" and I have no idea what you are referring to. Please, can you give me additionnal info I haven't drill a hole through the hull yet!
HPLou
Old 11-03-2011, 06:42   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41

This is obvious but I think I'll mention it anyway. Make sure you know the waterline level of the boat in relation to the bottom of the sink. If it is too low you will end up filling your sink when you open the seacock.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:39   #9

Charlie my sink will be located just in the back of the capt seat so there should be no problem. Thanks for your comment.
I Googled on Cockpit Scuppers & now I understand.
I've got all the info necessary for my project.
Thank You all for the great help

Tags
installation