Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2021, 11:39   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
new Jabsco Y valve leaks

Yesterday I spent the day installing a new Jabsco Y valve. This item was $100 at West Marine. This was to replace the 11 year old original which had started seeping.

I assembled the valve easily. The screws were only required to pull the flange down the last 1/16" compressing the O-ring face seal. Everything went together and looked perfecto except it's not.

The new valve leaks copiously from the face flange. There is an O-ring face seal; it is in place, is not distorted and is lubricated. The face of the Y valve seats fully home against the valve body which should compress the seal.

I've reread the instructions several times. I reassembled the valve three times, rotating the valve body 120 degrees each time. In each instance the handle rotates smoothly covering the entire 120 degrees of rotation.

I assume I have a defective valve right out of the box. I could put a bead of silicone sealer on the O-ring but I'm fairly certain it would foul the function of the valve. And I shouldn't have to.

If you have any experience with these Y valves please chime in. Thank you.
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 13:30   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: new Jabsco Y valve leaks

You prob'ly over-tightened the screws. That causes rubber gaskets and o-rings to pucker, creating the leaks you're trying to prevent.. Back them out all the way to hand tight. Wait a few hours to let the rubber recover from the puckers, then try just a quarter turn past hand tight. If it still leaks, a little more...till the leaking stops. If it doesn't you may actually have a defective valve.

Over-tightening screws and bolts is a common mistake...I see it most often from people who've replaced the joker valve in a toilet.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 13:40   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: new Jabsco Y valve leaks

If Peggie’s suggestion doesn’t fix it, exchange it for another one. Don’t try to fix it. You paid for a working valve, get what you paid for.

Tags
jabsco, leaks