Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2020, 08:21   #1

New Freezer

Does anyone have experience with the Isotherm Cruise 90 freezer? They say it draws 550 watts in 24 hours but don't explain how they calculated that number. At 3.2 cubic feet it's also a little smaller than I'd like.

Can this freezer get down to 0F (-18C) - to keep the ice cream firm

If I built a freezer with thicker insulation I'm sure I'd use less power but would the savings be that much with normal door openings?

Any other ideas for freezers with a vertical door.

https://www.indelwebastomarine.com/u...-freezer-inox/
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 13:39   #2

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: New Freezer

Hi. Depends where you sail and if you have air conditioning. The Danfoss compressor is small...uses little electricity because it’s small and good technology. Small is still small. I’m not going to say which freezers we removed but what works on a large air conditioned yacht in Florida will not get anywhere near the freezing temperatures recommended by food plant inspectors if you are not full time ac. I built a box with 6” of insulation, not 1 or 1.5”. Now, a small compressor will work well. It’s a system. Insulation, gaskets, plate and compressor. The new scroll compressors are great if the other components match. Open the door and stand there watching the food. Load up lots of hot stuff to freeze. Understanding the BTUs needed to freeze water or melt it, is not a brain challenge. Remember mom saying shut the door is all that’s required.
We switched to commercial refrigeration units like you find in restaurants and are so much happier than anything labeled marine.
I have a crew of manatees requiring cold beer and crisp pizza.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his foodie channel watching manatees
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 17:42   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
New Freezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Isotherm Cruise 90 freezer? They say it draws 550 watts in 24 hours but don't explain how they calculated that number...

I assume they mean 550 watt hours in 24 hours. Or around 45 AH from a 12 volt battery bank.

The watt hours will be a product of the current draw when running multiplied by the duty cycle.

For example, my Ozefridge draws about 8 amps when running, and runs 25% of the time, so that’s 8 amps x 24 hours x 0.25 duty cycle = 48 amp hours.

Multiple this by 12 volts to get the watt hours = 576 watt hours every 24 hours.

(Just to confuse things, battery voltage is usually closer to 13 volts, but 12 is ok for these equations.)

(More confusion, some boats are 24 volts, or even 48, but again, it does not really change things. Isotherm have intelligently used watt hours to avoid the confusion that might be caused by boats with different voltages.)
Old 29-09-2020, 17:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post

If I built a freezer with thicker insulation I'm sure I'd use less power but would the savings be that much with normal door openings?

There are simply massive power savings from a PROPERLY home built, top loading fridge.

For instance, that power consumption figure I just stated was for my spill-over combination fridge/freezer.

It has a combined capacity of 210 litres (7.4 cubic feet) and is cold enough to freeze ice cream to an acceptable standard.

The box was built to the specifications recommended by Ozefridge which was, from memory R30 on the bottom, R20 for the sides and R10 for the lid. (Those are the older non SI R values, SI values are a bit lower.)

My whole system uses nominally the same power as that little freezer you are looking at.
Old 29-09-2020, 17:57   #5

I just looked at the linked web site. Their power consumption units are hopelessly illogical, though it is pretty clear what they intended to say.

They really need some help from CF member StuM who is the master of all things unit related.
Old 29-09-2020, 23:43   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

We use this unit which is rated at 273Wh/day, or about half the Isotherm (tested to reasonable standards you can find online). Reliably holds -18C. We run it from a dedicated 350W inverter that also runs a companion fridge of similar size.

The inverter is ~92% efficient, but when you add in the idle current that drops to about 75%. Still gets you a freezer for ~370Wh/day. The fridge brings that up to ~500/550Wh/day (in the tropics, our current locale doesn't take much to keep things cool). Both units are a bit over 100l (~3.5 cubic feet) so similar to the Isotherm.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 03:19   #7
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Just replaced ours with a home unit - It was the most economical on the power that I could find for the size that would fit - Approx 44 amp hours/24 hours

https://www.retravision.com.au/westinghouse-wfm0900wd

Great thing is its much colder than our previous marine one ever was and oh so quiet - Its a dream and 1/3 of the cost of marine ones!
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 08:00   #8

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Great thing is its much colder than our previous marine one ever was and oh so quiet - Its a dream and 1/3 of the cost of marine ones!
That's our experience as well. If you can find a place where they'll fit....
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer