Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2020, 11:38   #16

Boat: Alden 44
Re: Need a little help

You might try a telescoping or extended reach garden pruner, Amazon, Lee Valley have them.
GregW1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 15:14   #17

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I am not sure of your positions for hoses, but what I have done in the past is to run sealed rigid PVC pipe through the bilges to where I need the hoses to go--then suck or blow a piece of cloth with a length of strong cord attached through them using a vacuum cleaner, and then draw any hoses and other conduits for wiring through that master duct, which is clamped in place and has entrances and exits above the bilges through curved pipe..

I always use smooth hoses rated for sewage and black water and the chemicals used in heads--Harpic, oxalic acid, sodium hypochlorite , bleach etc. Never run any oil-based solvents or synthetics such as Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone, Acetone or High octane petroleum or Methyl-Benzine. These can damage plastic pipes.

This is the technique electricians use when trying to get new wiring into buildings where the old wiring has been sealed by concrete or further construction. Just disconnect the old and overlay with new--then pull out as much of the old as you can.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 21:14   #18
Marine Service Provider

Warming a hose a bit makes it a lot easier to remove and get onto a fitting. Lubing hoses and barbs with lanolin or any other "grease" will leave the connection permanently slippery. Use dishwashing liquid or K-Y--a water soluble surgical jelly that dries out.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 21:47   #19

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Get yourself a big quality set of Channel Lock pliers. Those old hoses will often be stuck on the fittings. Also the new hoses will be difficult to get on the fitting. I have had tendonitis in my forearms for 30 years now from doing that job by hand.. twisting tight hoses too many times. I did exactly like you are, bought a roll of quality hose and did the whole boat.
If real tight installing the new hose, try some lanolin on the hose end after you dip it in hot water (google Lanocote, or just get pure lanolin from a drug store)

I would suggest that you do not use lanolin. Lanolin is a natural grease and it will be on those fittings forever. Use KY jelly. I know it sounds weird but it is water based and will evaporate completely. Lesson learned from Peggie - the Princess of poop, or the Head mistress, learned many year ago on a discussion board far far away.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 18:54   #20

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

You might find that 2 or 3 drops of vanilla extract on a dust mask would be a useful tool.
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote