Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2020, 18:00   #1

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter
Name my fridge!

Hey guys,

Looking at the best option for a fridge and freezer

Seems like option 1 is cut out ether the top to install a top load fridge, or loose my cabinets for a front load fridge/freezer

Option two would be a cold plate setup and cold plate freezer, both in the existing iceboxes with the compressor in the dead space underneath

I’d like something efficient as this is one a 33’ cutter, she’ll spend a good amount of time in the marina but also decent stretches in pretty remote areas.

Cooking wise, I’m not exactly a huge cook, maybe freeze some fish I catch, fruit and a little veg and some drinks type thing.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:07   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Name my fridge!

Re-insulate the box, even if it means a lot of work.

You may lose fridge space but that's worth it.

Technautics CoolBlue / CruiseRO for your holding plate idea, genuinely stellar tech support

Rich Boren Rich@cruiserowater.com
cell 619-609-3432
Skype Username: CruiseROWater

If you go stock evaporators instead

John Tully, ColdEh Marine Refrigeration http://www.coldeh.com

also uses Danfoss, and TXV like Rich's CoolBlue, they are the only two afaik

If you need more freezer space, then a portable unit like Engel is versatile and good value.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:16   #3
Marine Service Provider

First you need to determine the amount of daily energy required and where this energy is going to come from.

Amount, condition and age of insulation from pictures will be questionable if you expect to have much of a freezing area.

The ambient air and water temperatures where you plan to operate boat will determine the size of your refrigeration unit along with boat’s electrical power grid size.

Without more detailed information I would consider a 12/24/110 volt system with large bin shaped evaporator for the present ice box similar to the $900 Danfoss BD50 compressor Nova Kool. I would not recommend Eutectic evaporator plate do to shape of box. And operate existing box as a drink cooler plus refrigerator. Now for a good zero degree F freezer I recommend a 45 Qt Engel portable 12/24/110 volt or similar unit.

Having both units capable of operating on AC power at the dock will not over stress house battery bank.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:14   #4
cruiser

Welcome back Richard!

There is no stress on anything with the bank sitting Floating on shore power, no current is even drawn from the bank as long as the charger(s) current capacity is greater than the loads' amps draw.

Being able to switch over to mains-style AC might make sense on a big boat running the genset many hours per day, but not here.

I agree eutectic holding plates do take some space away from contents capacity, but if there happens to be "free" excess solar most days that is an alternative to going to a bigger bank.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:52   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Well that's quite a good space for the size of boat, but I don't think you have much other space available elsewhere for a separate freezer. So how about a spill over system. I thought the freezer should go as marked because it is likely you would have better access to increase the insulation there. Also do you access the fridge or the freezer more? if its the fridge then makes sense to have access via the little hatch rather than constantly having to open the big one which also gives a nice work area when cooking.

How much access do you have from inside those cupboards? Oh and find a bath plug for that drain vent, doesn't need to be constantly open. Ours has a sink plug plus a large rubber seal I found in a home depot type plumbing section. Fits perfectly keeping the heat out.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	206784  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:19   #6

12v and 110 would be manadatory

Could I just go 12v and let my shore power charger handle it?

For power I’m going to be installing a couple of removable rear solar panels for when I’m cruising, thinking if I’m on the hook or out I’d be ok with possibly loosing the sub zero and just having a fridge if needed.

I would like it all factory looking, she is a live aboard but i can’t handle a external portable freezer looks wise lol

So I’d be running two compressors under the ice boxes?
Old 12-01-2020, 10:27   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
That's how our DB fridge kit in the cool box works. The charger provides a constant 13.5v which the fridge likes and the batteries aren't affected.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:29   #8

Almost forgot it’ll be up and down the east coast, so FL in the winter and summer up north.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:32   #9
cruiser

Quote:
12v and 110 would be manadatory

Yes exactly, as long as its current output carries all the loads running, the energy stored in the bank isn't touched.

Some boats are set up that way for **all** shore power going through the charger, nothing direct AC from shore, everything AC through inverter(s) so 110V/240V 50 vs 60Hz doesn't matter.

Something huge like aircon usually gets a separate AC-only connection.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:33   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Almost forgot it’ll be up and down the east coast, so FL in the winter and summer up north.
Design assuming hottest ambient temps and poor insolation.

Plus new insulation will decline over the years.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:40   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Welcome back Richard!

There is no stress on anything with the bank sitting Floating on shore power, no current is even drawn from the bank as long as the charger(s) current capacity is greater than the loads' amps draw.

Being able to switch over to mains-style AC might make sense on a big boat running the genset many hours per day, but not here.

I agree eutectic holding plates do take some space away from contents capacity, but if there happens to be "free" excess solar most days that is an alternative to going to a bigger bank.
Twelve volt refrigeration operating from most battery charging devices will be forced out of float charge when refrigerator compressor starts. It may be true that some charging devices remain in float but those that do not shorten battery life. When a boater indicates refrigerator may be let on at the dock I always direct them to select variable voltage units, a $35 option when purchasing a new system is a good investment if it may extend battery life.

Eutectic plates have a number of disadvantages in this boater's ice box's shape that does not lend itself to induction heat transfer. With small 12 volt refrigeration even with alternative energy from wind, solar, or water power it does not matter whether energy is stored in eutectic ice or in battery bank.

I have not been away I spend my surplus time now at age 86 with a few emails a day.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:08   #12

Should have included a photo with the lids on

To everything goes to batteries and the charger keeps the at a float voltage?
Old 12-01-2020, 12:51   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Should have included a photo with the lids on

To everything goes to batteries and the charger keeps the at a float voltage?
The question is how to charge batteries and at the same time allow small DC current refrigeration to operate without battery overheating stress. With all variables in battery sizes and differences in each cells float voltage an expensive charging device may or may not be the answer to battery and refrigeration compressor stress while at the dock. My answer to the wear and stress problem was solved by Danfoss with their DC/AC module that automatically converts the compressor from 12 volt battery anytime AC power is available on boat. When this DC to AC conversion takes place compressor will operate at 24 volts and condenser fan will still be 12 volts.
Old 12-01-2020, 15:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
The question is how to charge batteries and at the same time allow small DC current refrigeration to operate without battery overheating stress. With all variables in battery sizes and differences in each cells float voltage an expensive charging device may or may not be the answer to battery and refrigeration compressor stress while at the dock. My answer to the wear and stress problem was solved by Danfoss with their DC/AC module that automatically converts the compressor from 12 volt battery anytime AC power is available on boat. When this DC to AC conversion takes place compressor will operate at 24 volts and condenser fan will still be 12 volts.

Do you have a link to this system, does it do fridge and freezer?

Also what all is involved in the install?

Thanks for all the info!
Old 12-01-2020, 15:59   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
The question is how to charge batteries
Yes.

> and at the same time allow small DC current refrigeration to operate without battery overheating stress.

There is no such "overheating stress" I know of. Do you mean from a particular source type like genset or alternator? Certainly can't imagine any with solar?

Sure, if Danfoss' DC/AC module is only $35, that's fine why not.

But really,
> With all variables in battery sizes and differences in each cells float voltage an expensive charging device may or may not be the answer to battery and refrigeration compressor stress while at the dock.

there really is no such issue with mains power.

Of course if the boat's systems are such that the battery bank can be completely isolated while the boat is in "storage mode" at the dock, and the fridge would be the only DC load device,

then yes, that would be a real benefit of that device.

Tags
grass