Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2013, 21:06   #1
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig
Mussel Heads

I've been reading a number of threads here on CF, over the past little while, about smelly heads. Over the past few weeks, we've begun to notice foul odours from the head and just in the past few days, it has begun to smell so bad that I was becoming concerned that if we didn't get something done about it that it might render the boat uninhabitable until resolved.
So we finally decided that we better come up with a short-term/easy-fix before actually doing something. lol
Luckily I had to work today, so we decided the best thing to try would be to fill the head (completely and throughout) with white vinegar and let it soak for a while. After an hour or so, my wife would flush a little through to circulate and soon she started seeing tiny little mussels coming into the bowl.
Now, the smell is completely gone, hopefully for a good long while. However, we are going to start doing this routinely and I wondered if any of you do it regularly and if so, how often?