Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2016, 14:24   #1

Moldable In Place Custom Holding Tank

For the life of me, I cannot find the company that makes a bag "type" water, waste and fuel holding thank that will cure to any area you place it, to make a new rigid tank. It was a few years back someone on CF was raving about it.

The bag is made dependent upon area size (gallons or liters). You simply place the bag in the desired area and fill with air (if I remember but it may be water) and after 24-48 hours the bag will cure to the desired area.

After that you simply hookup the supply lines and you are good to go with a brand new holding tank. The price was fairly high but after putting this project off for sometime, I need to find the easiest remedy.

Any ideas or links to the company would be greatly appreciated. I believe they were in europe.
HBWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 16:16   #2

Boat: islandpacket
Re: Moldable In Place Custom Holding Tank

Please post the info if you find it. Sounds interesting. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-01-2016, 16:41   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
For the life of me, I cannot find the company that makes a bag "type" water, waste and fuel holding thank that will cure to any area you place it, to make a new rigid tank. It was a few years back someone on CF was raving about it.

The bag is made dependent upon area size (gallons or liters). You simply place the bag in the desired area and fill with air (if I remember but it may be water) and after 24-48 hours the bag will cure to the desired area.

After that you simply hookup the supply lines and you are good to go with a brand new holding tank. The price was fairly high but after putting this project off for sometime, I need to find the easiest remedy.

Any ideas or links to the company would be greatly appreciated. I believe they were in europe.
Sounds too good to be true.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 16:59   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Sounds too good to be true.
+1
I mean, what would cause it to cure when in place, but not on the shelf in the store?

You're likely better off, either going with a bladder tank. Or to pre-coat some plywood with epoxy & fiberglass. And then use them to make a stitch & glue tank to fit the space which you have.
Installing the fittings, prior to the final glue up session. Which would involve fileting, & taping all of the seams, inside & out.

And if neither of those options strikes your fancy, just get a rotomolded tank. The available sizes & shapes of them is nigh on infinite. So finding one that'll maximally utelize the available space which you have, shoudln't be a problem.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 17:59   #5
Marine Service Provider

Check out Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics Marine Catalog
They make top quality rotomolded tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular. And they install fittings in the sizes and quantity specified by the customer when they make the tank.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 10:08   #6

Boat: Island Packet 35

Dura Weld
3599 23rd Ave S, #9
Lake Worth, FL 33461
561-586-0180 Office
561-586-0181 Fax
www.dura-weld.com
www.plasticfabricatedtanks.com
www.xenabirddiscourager.com

Draw it up and they will build it in less than a month.

Just a happy customer.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 06:16   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42 schooner

You're thinking of Innotank's "inflatable rigid" tank. Once inflated in the cavity, you cure the polymers using a UV light. I exchanged emails with them last year, but didn't end up buying their tank because of the difficulty in getting it here in the US. The inventor said he'd been in a years long battle with Vetus over his patent, so the product had sort of disappeared despite winning a Pttiman Award from Sail Magazine. The web page is :InnoTank - Magma BBQ's en InnoTank Vuilwatertanks / Drinkwatertanks Webshop . There's a video on YouTube at .
Hope this helps.
rogern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 12:04   #8
Marine Service Provider

Fascinating...I wonder what the price is, and also the lifespan...Average lifespan of a bladder tank is about 15 years, metal waste tanks about 10, top quality thick-walled rotomolded PE infinite unless abused.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 13:11   #9

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 ft

Not sure about a molded in place tank.
I just did a lot of research to replace a leaking Al water tank under the bed in the fwd state room. I have ended up getting a bladder type of tank from Huskey. For me that was the best and most cost effective option
gkunkle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 23:21   #10

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

The lifespan could be nigh on infinite, or on par with any other composites anyway. As UV curing resins, including epoxies, have been around for several decades. And if UV cures the stuff, it's likely more resistant to some of the ravages of time, than many other composites.
As to such resins, I even have some in a couple of my teeth.

For tanks though, it surely sounds like a neat idea. Quite the KISS installations. And it'd save the headache of doing 3D math! Even though I'm literally a certified whiz at it.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 23:55   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

I saw this written about 10 yrs ago and wondered where it went. Patents. Figures.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-01-2016, 06:50   #12

You're right, but in this case the patents "worked," eventually. I had a long conversation with the inventor, and he claims that Vetus flat out stole this from him. According to him it's a David vs Goliath kind of thing. I first saw it in their catalog, then it disappeared entirely, apparently when he started raising hell. It took him a long time and a lot of money to recover his patent, and it may have been enough to sink the product. There is no US distributor - West Marine was on board, but hasn't followed through, and I have to think it has something to do with their relationship with Vetus.
It is/was expensive, but considering that, as I was unwilling to demolish my settee, I was only able to fit a 17 gallon rigid holding tank where I figure I could have gotten 25 or so with this, it would have been worth it to me. Unfortunately, the complications of getting the tank and getting and returning the UV light finally made it too complicated to go forward with the purchase.
Old 22-01-2016, 13:31   #13
Marine Service Provider

I have a (small) uv light used for work I used to do with glass and fiber optics adhesives. Those lights aren't cheap that's for sure.

So does this guy have the ability to sell here because he won his patent war but he just can't find proper distribution because of vetus? They don't make anything like this now.

Old 22-01-2016, 13:32   #14
Marine Service Provider

I have a couple odd spots that are perfect for tanks but weirdly enough shaped and hard to get to that this would be perfect.

Old 22-01-2016, 16:21   #15

All I know is that the last exchange I had with them was last January, and they said they were working on distribution with West Marine.. "We are preparing distribution of our tank with West Marine, but for the time being you can order directly in our online store at Magma BBQ's en InnoTank Vuilwatertanks / Drinkwatertanks Webshop (Magma BBQ's en InnoTank Vuilwatertanks / Drinkwatertanks Webshop). You can open an account in the shop. At checkout please choose “on invoice” as a payment option because we will have to add shipping costs to your order individually because the shop cannot charge shipping outside the EU. Of course we can ship the tank anywhere you like. All is available."

You can read their post on this forum from 4/2013 here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...bv-102060.html

Tags
holding tank, mold