Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 05:50   #1

Method for cleaning fins on condenser

On the amp hour usage thread there was a recommendation for cleaning the fins on the refrigeration condenser to increase efficiency . Any suggestions for doing?
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:55   #2

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Re: Method for cleaning fins on condenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
On the amp hour usage thread there was a recommendation for cleaning the fins on the refrigeration condenser to increase efficiency . Any suggestions for doing?
Go to an HVAC supply store. They sell chemical that will loosen off any dirt and clean the fins. They also sell fin combs should any fins be bent or dented.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:07   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

While the chemical will work, most I have experience with are really meant for evaporators, some are rinse free, cause evaporators rinse themselves, but even if it says rinse free, rinse it off your condenser, most are acid based and you want that off.
I'd say 409 or another good kitchen cleaner and a brush. If you dent some fins the combs are great, they usually come with at least four different heads that have different spacing to match your fins. best is to be careful and not dent the fins of course.
I think an old toothbrush and some 409 will get you what you need.

Now I sit here thinking, some of that foaming bathtub cleaner may be the ticket?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:34   #4

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
We start with a vacuum cleaner [shop wet-vac best], then we spray them with Krud Kutter [water based, non-corrosive...] wait a few minutes, and vacuum again [we use a shop-vac that can tolerate liquids.] Get the vacuum nozzle right on the fins [carefully] so it is sucking hard between the fins. [i.e., the soft brush attachment isn't much good for this...]

If they still need cleaning, more Krud Kutter, and a tooth brush to work it loose. You may also be able to spray it with water from a hose - depending upon your set-up.

Worse case you can buy air conditioner 'cleaner' in auto parts stores and that works pretty well too... Read the labels and get something compatible with your system and situation...

Do you have a way of measuring your refrigeration efficiency? We installed simple analog hour meters. Very useful...

Cheers!

Bill

Tags
cleaning