Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2015, 20:40   #1

Marine Air Chilled Water System - Household Style Thermostat?

TLDR; any reason not to put Household style thermostat in marine AC?

I have a new to me boat with a Marine Air tempered water system, it has 3 "zones" 1 compressor, 1 chilled water pump, 1 water pump">raw water pump, and 3 HX for each zone.

It has what appears to be the passport i/o system, one of the zones is missing the control panel and the main system motherboard is laying on my desk from the parts bin as it is "wired direct".

Assuming the main motherboard is bad, and at least 1 panel is gone, and likely the board as well...a little internet searching makes me think its like 1500 bucks in parts at least..

The compressor - may be on its last leg, it is 14 yrs old - hopefully some new capacitors will keep it happy a little while longer - really large start up power spikes, and sometimes it does not want to start - makes a "grinding noise" that I am hoping is 60hz hum...

While out running the boat - direct is fine - never gets much below 74 below with all the heat pumping in from the engine rooms and sun - but overnighted on the boat and it was freezing...also since I am wired direct I have no protection agains high pressure due to it being freezing...

When it gives up the ghost I am looking at something like - flagships marine all in 1 chiller with the controls on the unit and the thermostat in the process water.

The system is powered by 2 breakers, 1 which runs the HX air handlers, 1 which runs the compressor, raw water pump, and process water pump.

Any reason I can not put a household style thermostat and relay on the main units power supply in the warmed region of the boat?
wtsheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 21:00   #2

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: Marine Air Chilled Water System - Household Style Thermostat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtsheff View Post
TLDR; any reason not to put Household style thermostat in marine AC?

Any reason I can not put a household style thermostat and relay on the main units power supply in the warmed region of the boat?

Just don't buy one with a mercury switch. I have seen that mistake a few times.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 07-07-2015, 21:03   #3

Re: Marine Air Chilled Water System - Household Style Thermostat?

Yeah I was thinking I would get something wifi and programable so I could just set it to start up at 5am on a fishing day!
wtsheff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, water