Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2020, 19:27   #1

Boat: Norseman 447cc
Marco fresh water pumps

Anyone have experience with these?

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...t.do?pid=56899

I have a Jabsco par max 4GPM unit that is starting to sound like it is going to give up the ghost soon. I've been through so many Jabsco pumps over the years I'd rather spend a bit more and have something that will last more than a couple of years, no space for an accumulator either. Space is limited so the belt driven models will not work for me, this one seems interesting but I haven't heard much about them.
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 19:43   #2

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu
Re: Marco fresh water pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by svspirited View Post
Anyone have experience with these?

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...t.do?pid=56899

I have a Jabsco par max 4GPM unit that is starting to sound like it is going to give up the ghost soon. I've been through so many Jabsco pumps over the years I'd rather spend a bit more and have something that will last more than a couple of years, no space for an accumulator either. Space is limited so the belt driven models will not work for me, this one seems interesting but I haven't heard much about them.

My background is as a chemical engineer. I specified pumps for all kinds of purposes for a very long time. I know pumps.

I have Marco pumps for my freshwater and washdown pumps.

They are simple, robust and long lasting.

They are MORE than worth the premium over jabsco and other such pumps.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 21:45   #3

Boat: Columbia 50

I installed a up3 last year - it performs very well, and I like the fact that it’s a gear pump, not a diaphragm. Having a bleed screw on it is a big help, too. My location is above the tank, and I’ve had to resort to pressurizing the tank to get the old jabsco primed.

My ONE complaint (and warning) is that it’s english pipe thread, not NPT, and doesn’t come with hose barbs. Here in the states, impossible to find, and It took a month for me to receive a pair of appropriate barbs from China from eBay or Amazon before I could install it.

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 21:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
I installed a up3 last year - it performs very well, and I like the fact that it’s a gear pump, not a diaphragm. Having a bleed screw on it is a big help, too. My location is above the tank, and I’ve had to resort to pressurizing the tank to get the old jabsco primed.

My ONE complaint (and warning) is that it’s english pipe thread, not NPT, and doesn’t come with hose barbs. Here in the states, impossible to find, and It took a month for me to receive a pair of appropriate barbs from China from eBay or Amazon before I could install it.

Matt
This is very strange... Certainly, yes the pump has BST inlets, but every Marco I have bought (three) has come with appropriate hose barb fittings and could be installed in a USA system out of the box.

Was the pump you bought new, in the box, from an authorized US distributor?
Old 04-06-2020, 04:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post

Matt

That's why I'm looking at it, gear driven pumps in theory should last a long time. The one I'm looking at on Jamestown says it has NPT threads, did you purchase the one you have now outside of the US?
Old 04-06-2020, 04:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
This is very strange... Certainly, yes the pump has BST inlets, but every Marco I have bought (three) has come with appropriate hose barb fittings and could be installed in a USA system out of the box.

Thanks, can I ask how long you have had them for and if you are living aboard? We use our water a lot.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:18   #7

I have one and it works fine but is very loud with a high pitched whine that I've done everything conceivable to eliminate or muffle (there's a thread on it here) with no success. Some people either have enough high frequency hearing loss it doesn't bother them or like to hear it because they're terrified a guest will leave a faucet running. So might not be an issue for you, but if you have good hearing and your guests are generally intelligent enough to be depended on to turn off taps it can be pretty annoying especially when someone is trying to sleep.

The pipe threads are also a spec, they sell different versions. So if you get one off eBay it might be an issue and it is a huge pain to rectify. But if you get it from Jamestown it should be good.

Final issue I had was that the screen pre-filter started to leak after a year and I couldn't find a way to either fix it or buy a replacement. I ended up just throwing it away and buying a third party on-line filter I put in the feed water line.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:22   #8

Mine is loud, but not a pulsing loud typical of diaphragm pumps - high pitch motor running, and a very high pitch electronics controlling the variable speed - like some battery drills on low speed.

I also don’t like how easily it looses prime.

I plan on finding something much much quieter. But it works.
two-rocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:27   #9

I installed a Marco last year. It was louder than expected but not so loud that I am dissatisfied. I find the noise different but no worse than my previous diaphragm pump. I love the variable speed operation and overall am happy with the pump.
slowneasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:29   #10

We have had ours for 3 years in full time liveaboard use. No problems at all.

We have a separate engine room, and the pump is not audible in the cabin.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:06   #11

Boat: Columbia 50

Lucky you on getting barbs with yours.
Yes, Jamestown SAYS npt, but when I called and pressed them, they didn’t really know - I actually called marco’s us rep, who informed it’s actually BST....

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 20:49   #12

Boat: DeFever Passage Maker 34

We replaced our 12 year old Johnson with a Marco. This was two years ago, and we love it. We are not f.t. live aboards, but do cruise Puget Sound to AK. every year......o.k. not this year......
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, pump, water, water pump