Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2013, 07:23   #1

March Pump lc2cp

What size strainer do you use for these pumps..it is supplying water to a 9,000 btu Webastco unit....? I have seen large Graco to very small ones???
rsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 08:00   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: March pump lc2cp

The LC2CP is a small pump and I would probably use something like the 1/2" ShurFlo with a 50 mesh basket.
Link: ShurFlo Raw water strainers 1/2"-1-1/4"
It wouldn't hurt to go larger. The larger the strainer the less often you would need to clean it. Since the pump is small I'd stick with a small mesh strainer basket.
Old 30-04-2013, 08:23   #3

thanks for your help...
Old 30-04-2013, 08:33   #4

I see you have larger Groco 1/2" for a liitle more which I will be contacting you about...do I need an intake stariner as well??? the AC will only be used at the dock.
Old 30-04-2013, 17:58   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

An external strainer is probably a good idea. It will keep the big stuff out and would reduce how often you need to clean the in-line strainer.

If you decide to use an external strainer, I suggest the Groco RSC series. You can open them to clean inside.
Here's a link: Groco Round Strainers (RSC series)
Old 30-04-2013, 18:37   #6

Boat: Moody 42

Depending on where you are, you might want to put a much larger stainer in. Tropics (including Texas and Florida) you're going to wish you went with a big one.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:37   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, rsaunders.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:57   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: March Pump lc2cp

My needs are aligned with Sailorman's. When I'm pumping cooling water for my AC and not underway, I'm usually in areas with a lot of plant and algae material. I use a larger Raritan (approx half gallon) strainer. I also keep an extra strainer basket so that I can quickly exchange the basket. Even the large strainer can be frequently plugged in the Chesapeake if you're sucking up nettles (jellyfish). I also have placed a T-fitting between my Strainer and my March pump where I have a hose with a fitting that can recieve shore dock hose. With this, when the need arises, I can "blow" off a cluster of debris that might collect agaisnt the through hull influent. Recently, I had an occurance that caused me to dive down to clean this "clam-shell" influent cover. I had my AC on while an adjacent boat was being cleaned by a diver. Much filamentous algae was removed and, with the current set, these fine long hairs of algae tangled in my influent cover. Turning on my backflush allowed me to pull all this messy stuff away. By the way, I put on latex gloves to scoop the stinging nettles out of my strainer in the Chesapeake!