Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2020, 12:35   #31

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch
Re: Manual vs electric head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Yes...any bowl that mounts using a 4-bolt pattern will fit.

--Peggie
Okay-and just confirming, I don't need this version? https://www.amazon.com/Raritan-Sea-E.../dp/B00MG6PFDI

I'd rather it be the cheaper one, of course... The base of my head is probably 8" higher than the seawater inlet of my boat, and the holding tank inlet is probably 2' above.
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 13:37   #32
Marine Service Provider

Actually you do...I didn't look at Defender's listing closely enough. This online retailer has it for lot less than Defender's OR Amazon's price Boatersland Raritan Sea Era Conversion Kit

The rise from the thru-hull to the toilet is no problem...and a modification in the discharge line would solve the 2' rise to the tank inlet. This would be true no matter what the toilet is--manual or electric.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 13:49   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Exactly! Logic!

On my boat it is impossible to use the holding tank AND flush enough to clear the lines. The tank is full in no time. I have fairly long anti-syphon loops. I measured and the lines from toilet to the diverter valve hold 7 liters. Not counting the line from there to the black water tank! I think fresh water is the only solution to this. I wonder if anyone bypasses their anti-syphon loops, to reduce this problem?
My runs to central holding tank are also quie long, but I dont have anti-siphon loops in them.

Loops are only in the direct discharge after the 3-way valve

Showers and head sinks also plumb into holding tank hose which I think helps them to purge any black water.

My holding tank is quite large and with just the 2 of us, is good for about 4 days before emptying.

Must be difficult if you sail with 6 or more

normally I pump out every night, when allowed.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 14:01   #34

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

I would always defer to Peggie Hall. That said, if there is only one set of heads on the boat I would prefer it to be manual. For when the power fails or it goes wrong. Usual rule, simple is more reliable. If two heads then I would not hesitate to have one as electric. Then, no prizes, for which one will be far the most popular.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 14:36   #35

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Interesting discussion. Surprised no mention of the Lavac vacuum manual head. It has been on our boat for 25 yrs without issues. Super simple. The best imho.

Jim sv Gaia
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 14:42   #36

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

I replaced the manual head on my boat with an electric head the week I bought my boat. I couldn’t be happier with the electric head - and teaching my guests how to use it is a no-brainer.
I found that having the correct sized wiring is key - that toilet mounted macerator pump does pull some amps. You will have problems if your electric toilet circuit is undersized and that pump doesn’t get nearly full voltage.
Also - make sure everyone understands that none of those shred proof wipes are to go into any toilet. The macerator will not shred them (duh) and they will clog your toilet.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 16:34   #37

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Exactly! Logic!

On my boat it is impossible to use the holding tank AND flush enough to clear the lines. The tank is full in no time. I have fairly long anti-syphon loops. I measured and the lines from toilet to the diverter valve hold 7 liters. Not counting the line from there to the black water tank! I think fresh water is the only solution to this. I wonder if anyone bypasses their anti-syphon loops, to reduce this problem?

In my mind, the simplest, least clog risk solution to that is the one my boat has. All heads plumbed directly to the holding tank, ideally with a downhill run the whole way (or a short rise right away and then downhill if needed). Skip the Y valves and direct discharge (less clog points, less plumbing) and just set up the ability to pump the tank overboard in addition to having a deck fitting for pumpout.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 17:11   #38

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

installed a Raritan Atlantis that i purchased at a swap meet, new in the box, i had no intention of going electric, always having manual's, but the price was right, so i went ahead[no pun intended],it had the remote motor[for fresh water], i didn't know the difference, anyway, after doing a massive amount of research, i plumbed the system using PVC piping and valve's, which is not expensive, the only hose is 24" long, so i can move the toilet away from the bulkhead for whatever, i have the system plumbed with a ELECTROSCAN in the system, i can go directly to the holding tank, to the ELECTROSCAN, or directly overboard, this system has been in place for 6 year's[full time live aboard], and the only problem was the Electronic control died, which i replaced, oh yes, i also replace the Joker valve periodically.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 20:28   #39

Not one real toilet joke. Yet.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 20:40   #40

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
In my mind, the simplest, least clog risk solution to that is the one my boat has. All heads plumbed directly to the holding tank, ideally with a downhill run the whole way (or a short rise right away and then downhill if needed). Skip the Y valves and direct discharge (less clog points, less plumbing) and just set up the ability to pump the tank overboard in addition to having a deck fitting for pumpout.
Or place the holding tank in close proximity to the toilet and higher so with the turn of a valve you can gravity dump the contents offshore.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 20:55   #41

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamWrenRoo View Post
Our boat came with a brand new, uninstalled electric head. I've never used one before. I'm trying to decide if I should sell it and buy a manual, or take the plunge into the unknown with the electric one. Thoughts?
Install it. I would never consider a manual toilet. The electric ones (Jabsco 'Quietflush' - and the name is a joke, are the ones we have) will chew through any amount of paper you throw at it. We have two on our boat, each pumping up into their own gravity emptying holding tank. Very simple, and problem free for the past 8 years. Just one thing:

If you are leaving your boat for the winter, and don't already have freshwater flush, then as part of the winterising (including de-scaling), use freshwater. Saltwater left in the pump housing for extended periods can cause crevice corrosion of the stainless pump shaft, which means where the lip seal runs, may develop a cavity and start leaking.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 21:04   #42

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamWrenRoo View Post
Our boat came with a brand new, uninstalled electric head. I've never used one before. I'm trying to decide if I should sell it and buy a manual, or take the plunge into the unknown with the electric one. Thoughts?
I'm considering the same move, don't get me wrong.
I love to run a handle up and down.
But, I'm also aware that things like cherry pits and such that may get ingested can kill the electric one real quick.
So, spare blades or parts on board are appropriate.
As is a manual pump overhaul kit.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 01:08   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Or place the holding tank in close proximity to the toilet and higher so with the turn of a valve you can gravity dump the contents offshore.

Eliminating the anti-syphon loop and drastically shortening the pipe runs.

That sounds like a sound approach. I would hate storing waste offshore even briefly rather than direct discharge but would surely be worth it 100x over for this advantage.

My boat alas is the opposite, with two long anti-syphon loops, miles of waste pipes connecting two toilets to a central black water tank, more pipes from there to the deck fitting and from there to the overboard discharge
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 01:27   #44

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Save power, get some exercise. Go manual.
Old 23-05-2020, 04:03   #45

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Eliminating the anti-syphon loop and drastically shortening the pipe runs.

That sounds like a sound approach. I would hate storing waste offshore even briefly rather than direct discharge but would surely be worth it 100x over for this advantage.
Auspicious is simple: head goes to a manifold (vice Y-valve) to choose between holding tank and direct discharge. Open both valves and the holding tank gravity dumps. This is lovely - waste goes to the holding tank inshore and the holding tank is emptied once passing the line.

The manifold also allowed me to add a third valve to support a path to an Electroscan waste treatment system.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, head