Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2018, 13:39   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43
Low voltage to fridge...doubt it

I have a AdlerBarbour unit (don’t know model) and a Xantrex LinkPro and two new 8D deep cycle 240 Ahr batteries for my house bank. The blinking diagnostic LED on the AB unit flashes once indicating it senses low voltage - even though the LinkPro shows 84% battery capacity remaining (unit is frequently synchronized). As soon as I start the engine (with alternator output going to battery bank) - the blinking LED stops blinking and the fridge/freezer work fine. What can cause the AB unit to sense low voltage with engine off (bank at 84% capacity) and then sense normal voltage as soon as engine is started? Thanks
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 13:46   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Low voltage to fridge...doubt it

What is the actual voltage at the fridge when the LVD isolates?

Possible you have a voltage drop issue in your wiring?

If not, do not trust the charge source(s) nor Link Pro reset point without verifying 100% Full with independent ammeter measuring trailing amps.

Other loads active at the time?

Is the setpoint adjustable?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 15:11   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Low voltage to fridge...doubt it

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyea View Post
I have a AdlerBarbour unit (don’t know model) and a Xantrex LinkPro and two new 8D deep cycle 240 Ahr batteries for my house bank. The blinking diagnostic LED on the AB unit flashes once indicating it senses low voltage - even though the LinkPro shows 84% battery capacity remaining (unit is frequently synchronized). As soon as I start the engine (with alternator output going to battery bank) - the blinking LED stops blinking and the fridge/freezer work fine. What can cause the AB unit to sense low voltage with engine off (bank at 84% capacity) and then sense normal voltage as soon as engine is started? Thanks
Your Adler Barbour must be a CU100 or CU200 if the LED is blinking ounce every four seconds. Run correct size and correct polarity jumper wires direct from a fully charged battery in order to bypass all boat’s wiring. Volt meter readings are of no value when looking for voltage spikes. This LED code signal has nothing to do with battery condition if batteries are at a charge of at least 12.5 volts. It is an indication of dirty electrical power. Faulty wire terminal, bad switch or breaker contacts, old wiring or even dirty power somewhere in boat.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote