Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2020, 12:09   #1

Boat: Sabre 402 - 40'
Low freshwater pressure since filter upgrade

Hi All,
I have upgraded my freshwater filter system and we now have a new issue.
I used to have a small 20micron string filter past my jabsco parmax 4.3 pump and accumulator (Jabsco 30573). I created a double filter system with a larger filter 10" instead of 5" with the first a 20micron sediment filter then the water passes through a 5micron carbon filter.
The pump switches on and off normally but the flow is just more than a dribble.
I ran the system without the filters and the flow is back to normal.
I'm guessing that the issue is pressure created by the filters. I have checked and replaced them as well. On the 20micron, I went from a wound plastic to a pleated filter. There was no difference in performance.
Should I get a higher pressure pump? Change the pressure setting in the accumulator. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
samoorelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 12:14   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Low freshwater pressure since filter upgrade

I'd shop around to see if you can find filters that will do what you want with a lower pressure drop. Or go to physically larger filters to get more flow. Upping the pump pressure to get enough pressure after the filters is also an option.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 12:17   #3

Thanks for the reply.
I am looking for a way to up the pressure. I have not been able to find a pressure adjustment screw on the PARMAX or anything relevant in the manual.
That would be my first choice with what I know so far.
Old 13-08-2020, 12:19   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

My system is a bit different. I wanted chlorinated water everywhere except the galley cold tap. So that is the only filter, other than the screen before pump, in my setup. But I did see high flow rated filters as well as some that were rather limited in flow rate. Might be worth checking on the flow rate of your filters.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 12:27   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Even if the pressure switch on your pump is adjustable, turning it up will only help if the pump is cycling against the restriction from the filters. If it's running constantly (and only pushes a low flow at that pressure), then adjusting the pressure switch won't help, only different filters or a pump that can push more flow through that restriction will.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 12:29   #6

The pump is cycling normally. "or like it did before the upgrade".
Old 13-08-2020, 12:33   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We run a 10" wound sediment/pre-filter and our 3.3 gph pump works fine. We switch between a 10 and 20 micron filters and both work fine.

It appears you've already done the experiments to isolate the problem, it's the 5 micron carbon filter. Do you really need it for the whole system or just the main drinking water tap to improve taste?

On a previous boat, we had a pre-filter before the pump and a carbon filter at the galley where we pulled most of our drinking water.

No matter where you want to place the carbon filters, change them to a 10 or 20 micron which should then fix your flow issue.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 09:13   #8

Is it possible that the filter elements were shrink wrapped and the plastic wasn’t removed? It would seem like there’s a flaw in the added components. You might expect some reduction in flow, but a bare dribble?
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 11:21   #9

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Filter elements present different resistance to flow. The better ones specify the pressure drop for municipal water pressures. A simple charcoal-impregnated sediment filter will usually have very low resistance. The charcoal block filters have a huge pressure drop and are probably not suitable for boat low pressure water systems. Get online and look at the catalogs for 10" cartridges to get a better idea.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 11:23   #10

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Some filter elements have a minimum working pressure. (I learned that the hard way.) If your water pressure is below that minimum working pressure the result is just a dribble of water out of the faucet. Did you check the specs of the filter you installed?
Tom_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 21:37   #11

Boat: Cal 2-46

When I replaced a Carbon filter some years ago the tap ran great then almost stopped. After a bunch or trouble I found the screen in the aireator plugged with carbon from the filter. I have sinice removed the screen on the aireator (sp?) and running a bit of water through the new carbon filter before replacing the screen..
I also second the plastic on the filter as a possible.
Char99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 07:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char99 View Post
When I replaced a Carbon filter some years ago the tap ran great then almost stopped. After a bunch or trouble I found the screen in the aireator plugged with carbon from the filter. I have sinice removed the screen on the aireator (sp?) and running a bit of water through the new carbon filter before replacing the screen..
I also second the plastic on the filter as a possible.

Yes, you should rinse the carbon filter to remove loose carbon before you put it into your water system. If you have a disconnect after the carbon filter housing, remove it from the water plumbing/pipes and would purge the filter before adding the extra carbon sediment into the pipes. The added sediment will eventually increase degradation of faucet seals, etc.
Old 15-08-2020, 09:14   #13

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Carbon filter should always be rinse before first use until no black water comes out
Old 15-08-2020, 09:34   #14

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
We run a 10" wound sediment/pre-filter and our 3.3 gph pump works fine. We switch between a 10 and 20 micron filters and both work fine.

It appears you've already done the experiments to isolate the problem, it's the 5 micron carbon filter. Do you really need it for the whole system or just the main drinking water tap to improve taste?

On a previous boat, we had a pre-filter before the pump and a carbon filter at the galley where we pulled most of our drinking water.

No matter where you want to place the carbon filters, change them to a 10 or 20 micron which should then fix your flow issue.
We have used 1 micron carbon filters between the accumulator tank and the cold water galley faucet (from which we drink) for many years. We had Par Max 4 pumps and now Par Max Plus. The flow is fine. I am surprised that your 10 and 5 micron filters are restricting the flow that much. I would focus on the 5 micron carbon filter.

In addition to the carbon 1 micron on the cold water side we have a screen filter prior to the pump. Other than that we have 20 micron (or sometimes 10micron) filters on the dock water before it comes on board.

Our problem in the last few years has been that fine milky sediment has been getting past the 20micron dock filter and into the water system on board. It then passes through the screen filter and is not filtered in the hot water side. It accumulates in tea pot and even in glasses of water filled from the hot water tap. The cold water side is clear. But this is not your problem.

BTW, we have used whatever 1 micron filters we could find in various places around the world, carbon where available. We never knew we should rinse them off and never have done so but we never experienced any carbon dust or blackness in anything. I wonder if that is possibly un-necessary.
Old 15-08-2020, 10:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
W
BTW, we have used whatever 1 micron filters we could find in various places around the world, carbon where available. We never knew we should rinse them off and never have done so but we never experienced any carbon dust or blackness in anything. I wonder if that is possibly un-necessary.

All the carbon filters that I have ever purchased recommends in the instructions (and in a language I could read) to do the pre-rinse. I've seen many times the plume of carbon in the initial water coming out the filters, so I believe the manufacturer's instructions are correct and will continue to do the pre-rinse.

Tags
water