Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2020, 11:04   #16

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Low freshwater pressure since filter upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
All the carbon filters that I have ever purchased recommends in the instructions (and in a language I could read) to do the pre-rinse. I've seen many times the plume of carbon in the initial water coming out the filters, so I believe the manufacturer's instructions are correct and will continue to do the pre-rinse.
Interesting, I just read the Mexican ones I have on hand, in Spanish of course, and that instruction is not present. Don't recall it on the last batch I had which were Chinese purchased in Thailand. Maybe the Mexican and Chinese manufacturing methods are different.
Old 15-08-2020, 12:37   #17

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

I randomly picked a carbon filter online (never purchased these) to check their instructions. https://www.freedrinkingwater.com/4-...-20-micron.htm

While not in the main instructions, but under the specs table in fine print:

NOTE: A drinking water cartridge may contain carbon fines. After installation & before using the water, follow the instructions for flushing the cartridge to remove fines.It is recommended that you flush for 20 seconds prior to using the water for drinking or cooking purposes.

For me, flushing is standard practice before I ever put carbon filters in service for water systems or ice makers.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 13:03   #18

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

As the problem appeared after making changes with the filters, I wouldn’t try to increase the water pump pressure, but deal with the filters.

The OP indicates the filters are installed past the pump? This sounds strange, as usually the filter should be installed before the pump, at the water tanks output.
Old 15-08-2020, 13:08   #19

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
I randomly picked a carbon filter online (never purchased these) to check their instructions. https://www.freedrinkingwater.com/4-...-20-micron.htm

While not in the main instructions, but under the specs table in fine print:

NOTE: A drinking water cartridge may contain carbon fines. After installation & before using the water, follow the instructions for flushing the cartridge to remove fines.It is recommended that you flush for 20 seconds prior to using the water for drinking or cooking purposes.

For me, flushing is standard practice before I ever put carbon filters in service for water systems or ice makers.
Ah Ha! I've been buying filters with activated carbon fibers, wound or pleated, not pots or blocks of charcoal.
Old 15-08-2020, 14:22   #20

Boat: Sabre 402 - 40'

Hi All,
Thanks for all the good advice. In addition I went to Fresh Water Systems support and they were very helpful but didn't help me resolve the issue.
I narrowed the problem to the .5micron carbon filter we were using.
After a search on Amazon I found a different "high flow filter" which is about 40% more expensive (~$20USD) for the same cartridge container. It was 3.7 GPM where my old one was 2 GPM.
We installed it and we are back to normal.
It only filters 10K gallons. The other one we had filtered 20K.
We use less than 100 gallons per week so it should have a 1 year life span at least.

Thanks for all the suggestions. When the admiralis happy, life is better!
samoorelex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water