Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2020, 09:27   #1

Low burner gas flow after solenoid install

I installed a 1/4” solenoid 0-312psi (approx) , post regulator, on our propane system today. Everything worked as far as the control side went, and the solenoid did click when actuated, but the flow at the stove was minimal. We were only able to run one burner (of 3) at about half power.

The instructions said to install it before the regulator, but that wasn’t convenient for me (I know, I know..), and I’ve seen many installations online where the solenoid is post reg. Also, I’ve read in other Fireboy Xintext instructions that it can be installed after the reg.

I did try venting the whole system, re-priming it etc. but nothing worked. Taking the solenoid out of the system immediately fixed the problem.

What is more likely the problem: bad solenoid or wrong side of reg cutting too much flow.

I haven’t seen gas flow specs for 1/4” sol vs 3/8” sol, so I’m not sure if I have a compatibility issue with our Force 10 stove.

All help appreciated.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5496.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	206707
SVJOCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:47   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Low burner gas flow after solenoid install

Solenoid valves are very flow restrictive. There just isn’t enough pressure on the low side of the regulator to drive the flow through a typical solenoid. You can get a larger solenoid, a specialized solenoid that is less restrictive, or install on the high side where there is plenty of pressure.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:49   #3

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

A 3/8” diameter hole has an orifice area of about 0.44 sq in. A 1/4” diameter has an area of 0.19”.
I think you need a 3/8” solenoid.
What ID is your propane plumbing?
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 16:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Solenoid valves are very flow restrictive. There just isn’t enough pressure on the low side of the regulator to drive the flow through a typical solenoid. You can get a larger solenoid, a specialized solenoid that is less restrictive, or install on the high side where there is plenty of pressure.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. Moving the solenoid to the high pressure side did the trick. Cheers.
SVJOCO is offline   Reply With Quote