Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2017, 17:09   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII
Looking for Lunaire A/C manual(s) and suggestions

Hi all,

I have very little to go on in terms of model numbers and the like - but looking for information on Lunaire air conditioners.

From what I've found online, Lunaire seems to have been out of business for quite some time, and I can't seem to find anything online. (Google does find someone trying to sell one on CF back in 2015....)

Anyway - of the loads of old manuals and documentation the previous owner left in the boat - the one that's missing seems to be for the AC.

Without pulling the unit out and putting it on the bench, all I can tell is that it's a Lunaire, the control panel is three rotary controls - one for off/fan/cool/heat, one for "warmer/cooler" and one for fan speed.

Of course the thing worked fine during the survey and blew 48F air. The surveyor reported it as a "Reverse-Cycle, Self-Contained System, 12,000 BTU" - whether he was able to read something off the unit (buried deep in a lazarette nearly under the cockpit) or if he had it in his file (he has surveyed this vessel previously) is unknown to me.

Now - that it's 95F with 90% humidity in NOLA - the AC has decided it *doesn't* work. When turned on, the circulator fan blows, the cooling water pump works - but turn the temperature dial much off the counterclockwise stop, and you can hear the fan slow, then the main breaker (30A) trips. A red light on the control panel lights briefly before the breaker lets go. I assume this is the compressor trying to start.

Two bits of evidence for the would-be A/C sleuth on this case:

The markings on the control panel *imply* that turning the temperature knob counterclockwise is "cooler" and clockwise is "warmer". (that's what the screening says)

The boats ancient maintenance log reveal that a previous owner (perhaps 2 owners ago) had problems with this A/C not working. Seems they replaced the capacitor more than once, but problems persisted. They seem to have discovered that they were getting "weak" shore power, and that the A/C worked fine at another marina. In pursuit of this, we've had new AC shore power set up, and I've replaced the really old, loose 30A twist-lock plug and receptacle with a "SmartPlug". (Which I was gonna do anyway, but hoped it would fix this.)

So, any help anyone can offer would be great. Someone who can tell me why the temperature control seems "backwards" would even be nice. A link to a manual or a PDF of one would be terrific.

I suppose the best way to deal with a cranky 20+ year-old A/C system is to yank it out and replace it with something new - but - since I can't cough up the $$$ for that right now - I thought I'd try to fix the old one for now.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 19:02   #2

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII
Re: Looking for Lunaire A/C manual(s) and suggestions

Apparently, this company has fallen off the face of the Earth. No online docs, no PDFs, nobody who seems to have one...

Aside from the one up for sale here 2 years ago, and a couple of hits on the internet, you'd never know they existed.

Were they that small of a company?
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 11:50   #3

I have the exact same problem with my Lunaire LPSC-16HL. Did you ever make any progress on it? In particular, can you help me find the capacitor in question?

I find that if I keep re-setting the breaker, after something like ten attempts, it does not open and the unit keeps running and the cooling keeps working. Can't quite figure that out but I'd happily replace the capacitor if/when I find it.
bergsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 16:47   #4
Marine Service Provider

All self contained seawater cooled AC units are more or less the same, except for the controls/tstats.
The capacitor(s) are most likely in the main control box where the input power is at.

Do you have a generator? If so, try it on that and see if it works.

Make sure the wiring is clean, and tight.

Lots of problems are solved by fixing bad wiring.

There is a device called a "hard start kit".

That might help, or if you can read the make/ model # on the compressor itself, and then google it you will find the data sheet that shows the oem start parts that came with that unit.
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 05:59   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Here’s a few wiring diagrams for Lunaire Marine Heat-Cool units.
http://trojanboat.com/wp-content/upl...-AC-wiring.pdf

http://trojanboat.com/wp-content/upl...-AC-wiring.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 06:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerking View Post
All self contained seawater cooled AC units are more or less the same, except for the controls/tstats.
The capacitor(s) are most likely in the main control box where the input power is at.

Do you have a generator? If so, try it on that and see if it works.

Make sure the wiring is clean, and tight.

Lots of problems are solved by fixing bad wiring.

There is a device called a "hard start kit".

That might help, or if you can read the make/ model # on the compressor itself, and then google it you will find the data sheet that shows the oem start parts that came with that unit.
thanks for the good suggestions. I'll have a look inside the control box for the capacitor, and if and when i finish investigating the capacitor with no success i'll try bypassing all the wires in the boat.
Old 18-08-2019, 06:48   #7

thanks GordMay.
Old 22-08-2021, 05:15   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The Lunaire Installation & Operation Manual has wiring diagrams, & a troubleshooting chart:
https://btmalta.com/wp-content/uploa...ser-Manual.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manuals