Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2019, 04:53   #1

Looking for any advice on getting a new watermaker

We're currently in Martinique after sailing here from Grenada so we can get our Sea Recovery 115v watermaker (new) replaced with a Spectra Catalina 340 12v.

The reason is because our Paguro generator has died after 200ish hours and the manufacturer is not honoring the warranty.

In Grenada, we gave up trying to order one because of lack of a response so we called around and the shop in Martinique said they could get it. They charged over $13,000 to our credit card but then didn't order it because they said they never received the payment. Luckily out bank is dealing with that!

After talking with the shop in St Lucia, we were planning on going there for the install but they've gone silent (I'll give them another day though).

Does anyone know if this is something I can fly to Florida to buy and bring back on the plane? Will Spectra send an installer? We're a bit stuck in that we're on our way to Florida to import the boat (can't stop in Puerto Rico or we would) and we would really like a watermaker.

A bunch of Jerry cans is our backup.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:20   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Looking for any advice on getting a new watermaker

Hi crayii, If you'd like to call me please feel free. Spectra is backed up due partially to Dorian. But I'm in Florida and can at the least help you with this. This is a problem when people rely on generators to operate their watermakers. If your generator goes down most are also out a watermaker.

(954) 515-7077

PM sent
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
This is a problem when people rely on generators to operate their watermakers. If your generator goes down most are also out a watermaker.
PM sent
Yeah, it's crazy, I've been to Grenada, St Lucia, and now Martinique and hired good mechanic shops at each but still can't get the genset to run. It's under warranty as well but they aren't much help.

Getting a new watermaker shipped in has been an exercise in frustration.

We are now planning on buying and filling water Jerry cans and sailing non-stop to Florida to have everything fixed.

The WAF on this is in the toilet unfortunately.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:36   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’m not trying to talk you out of a Spectra, but buy a Honda, then you can deal with this at your leisure and not as an emergency.
Or, why not fix your generator?
You can not depend on warranties and other people to fix your stuff, most are honestly incompetent, and finding the ones that aren’t, well how do you do that when your moving all the time?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’m not trying to talk you out of a Spectra, but buy a Honda, then you can deal with this at your leisure and not as an emergency.
Or, why not fix your generator?
You can not depend on warranties and other people to fix your stuff, most are honestly incompetent, and finding the ones that aren’t, well how do you do that when your moving all the time?
The watermaker draws 20 amps so I don't think the Honda will do it.

I've spent days looking for the part (as has the generator service company) for the fuel pump we need. We also need a new water pump and exhaust elbow. Weeks are turning into months on the generator.

I just bought a plane ticket back to the States to buy a fuel pump. Seriously, that's what it's come to. Most expensive fuel pump I've ever purchased.

That and JB Weld may get us on our way temporarily.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:55   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

There is a Spectra guy at the watermaker place in Falmouth harbor Antigua.

Sorry to hear about your problems
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:24   #7

I read back through the OP and was unclear if a purchase has already been made.I am considering replacing an older Little Wonder 7ph unit and considering
Cruise RO watermakers 20gph 120VAC that will run off a Honda 2000 generator. Cost is around $4300 complete (you may not need all pumps/filters since you are replacing an existing install) and is assembled from non-proprietary parts so repair/replace is straightforward. Installation looks pretty straightforward too. Full disclosure: I am avoiding automated WMs (like Spectra Catalina) due to complexity and strong desire to limit number of motherboards on my boat, so the Cruise RO unit is not exactly apples/apples to the Spectra Catalina. Cruise RO is run by a cruiser from his Force 50 in Morro Bay CA and is pretty popular amongst the cruiser set. He may have some decent info, and it may be easier to import as pieces and may stay below a financial threshold.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:45   #8

Boat: Island Packet 420

You might want to give Echo-Tec based in Trinidad a call. His watermakers are very good.

https://www.echotecwatermakers.com
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I read back through the OP and was unclear if a purchase has already been made.I am considering replacing an older Little Wonder 7ph unit and considering
Cruise RO watermakers 20gph 120VAC that will run off a Honda 2000 generator. Cost is around $4300 complete (you may not need all pumps/filters since you are replacing an existing install) and is assembled from non-proprietary parts so repair/replace is straightforward. Installation looks pretty straightforward too. Full disclosure: I am avoiding automated WMs (like Spectra Catalina) due to complexity and strong desire to limit number of motherboards on my boat, so the Cruise RO unit is not exactly apples/apples to the Spectra Catalina. Cruise RO is run by a cruiser from his Force 50 in Morro Bay CA and is pretty popular amongst the cruiser set. He may have some decent info, and it may be easier to import as pieces and may stay below a financial threshold.
With a 115v watermaker, two complex pieces of equipment need to be running. I've been burned way too much on generators to keep one in the mix.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:09   #10

I would sail to Trinidad and get it all sorted there. Great diesel/electrical engineering shops, and this little scandinavian outfit that build watermakers with a v good reputation!

ECHOTec Watermakers - Manufacturer & Global Supplier
PaulvR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 14:51   #11

Boat: O'Day 34

We have used a SeawaterPro 20gph unit for several years. It cost well,under $2000 and we run it off our solar, batteries, and 2000 w inverter.
It’s been trouble free, no electronics, and Mike the owner is always available for free support and advice
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 16:51   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

No, 20 amps at 120 VAC would take two Honda’s paralleled, but they could easily do it.
You could buy two Honda’s and sell them and probably only lose a couple of hundred dollars.
That way you could go to Fl and get Tellie to install it right. I”m sure you know that installation is very important to a good trouble free, easy to service system.
What kind of output did 20 amps give you? I assume 60 or 70 gallons an hour?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 17:22   #13

Boat: Union cutter 33

I’ve been looking at purchasing a watermaker I’m in PNW sent emails to dealer for both Spectra and zen30 I’ve called distributors with no response I’m in canada and can’t get service so not surprised with your issue in the Caribbean
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:28   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatte View Post
I’ve been looking at purchasing a watermaker I’m in PNW sent emails to dealer for both Spectra and zen30 I’ve called distributors with no response I’m in canada and can’t get service so not surprised with your issue in the Caribbean

You didn't call, PM, or E-mail, me.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatte View Post
I was just told after paying way over retail that the Spectra 340 will ship today. They said two day delivery so, we'll see.

Tags
grass, water, watermaker