Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2016, 07:13   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 35 "Anduril"
Lightly used Electro Scan for sale

I have a very lightly used Raritan Electro Scan for sale. Originally purchased in Oct 2014, installed April 2015, used during a 70 day cruise (just me and my wife), then very lightly used since then... no more than about 20x a year. Clean, and sanitized, interconnecting wires in conduit. Control switch in a teak cover plate. I have many photos of it installed and even video of it working. I'll try to figure out how to reduce the size of the video so I can post or email. $500 plus trackable shipping and insurance. Shipping to anywhere in the continental US, I believe, is less than $50. At least that is what Defender Marine would charge from CT. I would get actual shipping costs from UPS Ground or USPS upon buyer commitment. Local pickup in the Annapolis MD area is also possible. Paypal payment preferred. I probably wont be able to get the "stickers" off the wall in one piece, but I'll wager that Jerry at Raritan would send you new ones for free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161204_121703.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	137801   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161204_121713.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	137802  

Name:	20161204_121728.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	137803   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161204_121741.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	137804  

Name:	20161204_121758.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	137805  
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:27   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Lightly used Electro Scan for sale

Someone's going to get a Good Deal.
We got ours from Defender for $1025.00, the best price we could find.
It's a great unit.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 14:47   #3
Marine Service Provider

The discharge of treated waste from the ES--from any Type I or II MSD--is legal everywhere on the Chesapeake Bay except in one small harbor: Herring Bay. So why would you want to switch to the hassle of maintaining a holding tank? If it's because the waters in upper Bay are too brackish to use without adding salt to it, there are several ways to solve that: If your toilet is a manual toilet, a brine tank...keep a few gallon milk jugs of the brine solution aboard to reload it. Admittedly that can be a PITA, so a lot of people just keep a plastic tub of Kosher salt and a coffee measure in the head and add two coffee measures to each flush. If your toilet is electric, Raritan offers a couple of different salt tanks that you'd load with rock salt (solar salt works best)...which one depends on the type of electric toilet. One load of salt lasts most people a whole season. If you're planning to spend a lot of time in waters where you may have to use a tank more, Raritan offers a handy dandy system they call the "hold'n'treat"--a system of switches and relays that makes it possible to empty the tank through the E/C when you're out of the NDZ and back into "treatment legal" waters holdntreat controls

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 16:30   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

When in brackish waters around here (usually because of a LOT of rain and creek outflows) we dump a serving spoon from a bag of coarse salt into the head before flushing as we don't have the room for a salt tank.
The amount needed can be ascertained by watching the amps displayed on the panel.
You need an average of 14 amps or better to avoid an error message.
It will still work; it's just telling you it's not doing the job it's supposed to.
I don't know how close to actual amperage is really needed.
Very likely, there's a pretty healthy CYA number built in to the firmware, but we go with "keeping the lights green".

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 17:07   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 35 "Anduril"

Excuse me... I don't want to have a debate about treatment systems vs holding tanks vs natures heads, there are plenty of other threads for that debate..... I just want to sell mine at an attractive price to willing buyer ....

I am going on an extended voyage to New England and Maine and everything north of Manhattan is ZERO discharge.

Craig
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 17:09   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

So this thing takes chlorine out of sodium chloride and mixes it with the waste and then it's pumped overboard? Or is it then put into the holding tank?
It's supposed to do what sterilize the waste with just a few seconds contact with chlorine? Or do I not understand the operating principle?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 17:17   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
So this thing takes chlorine out of sodium chloride and mixes it with the waste and then it's pumped overboard? Or is it then put into the holding tank?
It's supposed to do what sterilize the waste with just a few seconds contact with chlorine? Or do I not understand the operating principle?

It works on the same principle as a salt-water chlorinator for a swimming pool. It uses an electrical current across special electrodes to break down sodium chloride (salt) in the water into hypochlorous acid. There are two treatment chambers - when you flush the effluent goes into the first chamber where it is macerated and acid is generated. The mix now sits there while the acid kills all the biological matter. Next flush and the mix goes into the second chamber where it is macerated again followed by another treatment cycle. Finally on the next flush the now-safe mixture goes overboard.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 18:16   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK got it, I didn't know about the two chambers.
It may be sterile, but it's still poo.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 18:19   #9

Quote:

Fish poo in the sea all the time ;-)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 10-12-2016, 18:19   #10
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=Anduril;2277315 I am going on an extended voyage to New England and Maine and everything north of Manhattan is ZERO discharge. Craig[/QUOTE]

Inside the "3 mile limit," yes. But it's pretty easy in those waters to get outside 3 miles--which I'm sure you plan to do often to dump your tank, and you can use it to empty the tank when you do sail "outside." You aren't permanently relocating to an area where you'd never be able to use the ES, so it's not as if I'm trying to talk you into buying an ES...you already have one. So why not just prepare it for long term "storage" according to Raritan's instructions and keep it instead of unloading it for a "fire sale" price. I think you'll be glad you did when you return to the Bay.

That's my $.02 worth anyway...your mileage may vary.
Old 10-12-2016, 18:20   #11
Marine Service Provider

Not quite. When salt water is charged with electrical current it creates hypochlorous acid, which kills bacteria, virii etc. It's essentially the same thing that happens when a lightning strike hits the ocean. The solution reverts to salt water again when the stimulus (electrical current) is removed.

Federal law requires Type I MSDs to macerate to "no visible solids"--iow, completely liquify--and reduce bacteria (notably e-coli) count to a max of 1,000/100 ml. The Raritan Type I devices--LectraSan/ElectroScan and PuraSan not only macerate to well above federal standards, but also reduce bacteria count to <10/100ml. Fwiw, federal water quality standards for swimming waters allow a bacteria count of up to 200/100ml. BOD (bio-oxygen demand) per flush is the equivalent of 4 oak leaves falling into the water...so it's hardly likely to create any oxygen blooms.
Old 10-12-2016, 18:27   #12

Lightly used Electro Scan for sale

Peg is the true expect on these matters. She's forgotten more about poo than the rest of us know put together.

All I know is that I love my ElectroScan and would not trade it for anything :-)
Old 10-12-2016, 18:28   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
No...it's not sterile (and btw,fish poo doesn't contain e-coli, which is the main concern of the law). But it's a lot closer to it than the discharge from any sewage treatment plant--which is where holding tank contents except for all the ones that are illegally dumped--end up...and, due to runoff from as far away as 500 miles, cleaner than most coastal waters and a WHOLE LOT cleaner than the water in ANY marina.
Old 10-12-2016, 18:40   #14
Marine Service Provider

Your knowledge of how the ES works is a lot better than 99% of people--including those who own them. Truth is, I don't know any more about poo than most people do...I've just learned a lot about all the ways to manage it onboard.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:43   #15

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

What are the dimensions of the unit?
Thanks.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
for sale, sale