Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2012, 00:04   #1

Boat: Sunbeam 44 cc
leaky water heater

My water heater is inside the engine compartment above the engine and is leaking from a rusted out part of the tank. I want to replace it. My wife, the boss wants to bring in a pro. My neighbor just did it himself and recommends that I do the same. Any advice?
Quirocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 00:07   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: leaky water heater

I've done mine. It does not require skills beyond ordinary household plumbing skills, but it is a PITA due to access. What's the value of avoiding that PITA versus the money you save? Only you can answer that question.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 03:26   #3

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue

In order for us to be able to provide more relevant advice, it would be helpful to fill out profile information to identify the type of boat you have.

It would also be helpful to identify the water heater you presently have, whether you find it adequate, and whether you want to replace it with an identical type.

I presently have an Ariston 4 gallon electric water heater. It is very easy to replace and (as Dockhead states) requires no more effort/skill than a basic household plumbing project. One thing I am considering doing, which it something you could keep in mind if putting in a new unit. The marinas in my area tend to have very hard water and I am aware of boats (over the years) having issues with calcification blocking water flow into and out of the water heater. I am planning on plumbing a flush out system to I can periodically purge it.
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:02   #4

Boat: Sunbeam 44 cc

No idea of the old model as itís wrapped in insulating plastic, pretty old, probablt original from 1995. We just ordered a Quick 25 liter cylindrical heater that fits the dimensions and connector sizes. Great idea, fitting a flushing system. My profile is up now. Thanks
Quirocat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water