Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2011, 18:04   #1

Leaky 1.5" Hose Fittings

Not the most pleasant of jobs here ... I just replaced the macerator and now I am having drip leaks where the hose meets 1) the macerator and 2) the y-fitting (pictured at left). Any ideas on the best way to fix this?

I'm thinking about taking it all apart and putting back together with like a PVC cement or 4200. Or I could replace the y-fitting with a better fitting one, and try to figure out how to use the threaded connector on the macerator ... not sure though. Would like to only fix this once.

Thanks.

fishfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 18:57   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Re: Leaky 1.5" hose fittings, ideas?

Why is the hose "spliced like that?

The Pickup side of the hose should be connected directly to the macerator

What is that black pipe/hose?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 19:03   #3
Marine Service Provider

Don't use any goop...you'll regret it and it won't work very well. Wrapping the threads with severl layers of Teflon tape should seal the macerator tail piece. How old is the hose on the left? It may just be too stretched due to age and/or overheating to get it onto a fitting to fit any more. Try Teflon tape there too...if it doesn't work, you may have to repalce that piece of hose.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 19:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

The black piece appears to be a wye...I don't believe it can be attached directly to the macerator...hence the short piece of hose.
Old 14-04-2011, 19:17   #5

Yes that black piece of pipe is a "y" fitting ... hard to see but there are 2 hoses going in on the left (bottom one from the tank, the top one out to the pump-out fitting). And the short length of hose goes from the "y" to the macerator.

The hoses are 3 years old. This has leaked since I installed it, seems to have gotten worse since I replaced the macerator. The hose slides over these fittings pretty easily, just never was a good connection from day 1.
Old 14-04-2011, 21:23   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
. The hoses are 3 years old. This has leaked since I installed it, seems to have gotten worse since I replaced the macerator. The hose slides over these fittings pretty easily, just never was a good connection from day 1.
Hose shouldn't slide easily onto onto a fitting...a leak proof connection requires that the hose fit tightly enough to require warming--being careful not to OVERheat--and lubrication to get it to go onto the fitting. So either the hose is too big or the fittings are too small...and since it leaks at both the macerator tailpiece and the wye tailpiece, my money is on the hose.
Old 14-04-2011, 21:51   #7

OK, yeah I figured it all came together too easily. I think I will get a new short section of hose, see if that fits the fittings better and if not, find fittings that are more snug. Thanks Peggie.
Old 14-04-2011, 23:05   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Hose shouldn't slide easily onto onto a fitting...a leak proof connection requires that the hose fit tightly enough to require warming--being careful not to OVERheat--and lubrication to get it to go onto the fitting. So either the hose is too big or the fittings are too small...and since it leaks at both the macerator tailpiece and the wye tailpiece, my money is on the hose.
First the black plastic parts should be barbed fittings, and hard to get the hose onto them. By dipping the hose in just boiled water they get soft enough to stretch over the barb. I use a little silicon spray or K-Y jelly on the barbs too.

If hoses are too short to dip in water, a hair dryer works fairly well.
Old 15-04-2011, 04:07   #9

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!

Well it looks like the pump discharge fitting is threaded and the hose is directly connected to the threads. Also the inside clamp on that side can't be on the pump fitting, there not that long (I'd even question the first one). You would need a female to barb adapter at that point to make a good connection. It might be just these old eyes but the "Y" fitting looks to be smaller than the 1 1/2" pipe? A hair dryer works well to soften the plastic as well.

Steve in Solomons MD
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 05:27   #10

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post

Sound advice, it appears from the pic that the y fitting is 1.25 ID and the hose is 1.5ID and are incompatible and why it has leaked since day one. A good plumbing supply shop should be able to provide the proper 1.5 ID Y. make sure to get barbed ends and ABS rating, cheap fix.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 06:28   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Leaky 1.5" Hose Fittings

The problem relates to using hose that is very hard and using cheap clamps where you cannot get enough tension on them.

I would not use that type of cheap white hose below the waterline. Get some safer rubber sanitation hose with spiral wire and the plastic inner lining for that purpose.

Also, get rid of the cheap hose clamps. It is not worth risking sinking your boat over saving a few dollars. This is the type of clamp you want to use. Notice it does not have the perforations in the band and you can make them tighter.

ABA OF AMERICA Clamp at West Marine

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote