Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 17:23   #1

Boat: Hunter 280 "Blue Monday"
Leaking Water Tank or Strainer ?

Trying to determine if my water tank is leaking, or if it might be the connection between water tank and strainer? 4 pictures to illustrate:

first pic is under the v-berth, tank is under panels at top of pic, open area aft of tank contains water heater, pressure water pump, etc.

next pic is looking down into opening, shows corner of water heater, tank fitting coming through wall, and connecting to strainer. After filling the 20 gallon tank and going out on a choppy day, there can be over an inch of water at the bottom of this compartment!

last 2 pics shows closeup of tank fitting coming through bottom of wall, and connecting to strainer. The gunk on the fitting makes me wonder if a new strainer might be the answer, or if the problem lies in the connection between the tank itself and the fitting? The tank is original plastic, circa 1996.

I removed the wood panels over the tank and peeked into the inspection port, everything looked okay, but hard to be certain.

Any ideas or troubleshooting tips?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3664.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	21881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3666.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	21882  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3668.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	21883   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3679.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	21888  

TPorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 17:51   #2

That filter looks like a bilge pump filter , an appropiate water filter would be in the 2 micron range. As to the leak, wrap a piece of paper towel around all the suspect connections, secure with twist ties or wire ties, the wet one is the winner. Just a process of elimination.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:42   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
I like Marks suggestion on finding the leak. However I question the location or the need at all for a strainer in that location. How would you clean it with any water still in the tank? If it were my boat that is the location where I would prefer to install a shut off valve then a filtering system further down line in an easier to get to location if possible. The gunk looks like, but hard to tell, as plumbers pipe dope.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:56   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Zarley View Post
That filter looks like a bilge pump filter , an appropiate water filter would be in the 2 micron range. As to the leak, wrap a piece of paper towel around all the suspect connections, secure with twist ties or wire ties, the wet one is the winner. Just a process of elimination.
No bilge pump filter. Its a large screen. Here is what I use. Shut off on tank then filter that isn't bilge pump filter then fine filter at the tap. The screen catches the bigger stuff and helps save the life of the finer filter.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:49   #5

Boat: Hunter 280 "Blue Monday"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I like Marks suggestion on finding the leak. However I question the location or the need at all for a strainer in that location. How would you clean it with any water still in the tank? If it were my boat that is the location where I would prefer to install a shut off valve then a filtering system further down line in an easier to get to location if possible. The gunk looks like, but hard to tell, as plumbers pipe dope.
Thanks, I like the idea for finding the leak as well. A shutoff valve between the tank and the strainer also makes sense. Keep in mind that currently the outflow of the strainer goes into a short piece of tubing, then to the input of the water pressure pump.

Both ends of the strainer are barbed, and I believe are meant to connect to hose? Given that the right side is coming straight out of the pipe exiting the tank, and the presence of the pipe dope, could this be the cause of the leak? The more I look at the strainer to pipe connection, the more I wonder...
TPorch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks