Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 09:27   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Leaking Calorifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
DH, the good news is the answer isn't a million miles from your current location:

Surejust | Manufacturing equipment for the marine industry for over 25 years

Pete
Thanks, Pete! I think mine is a C-Warm, however. I'll know for sure only when I can run down the former Moody guys. It needs to be the same if I want to avoid replumbing and changing the mounts.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 08:04   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Leaking Calorifier

So I ordered the C-Warm calorifier and it turned out not to fit Apprently nothing is made in this size anymore Although my boat is not that old (2000).

So I took out the old one, and it occurred to me that -- a radiator shop would be the right place to take it. A few hours and 48 pounds later, my calorifier is back in usable condition. They soldered it and pressure tested it and declared it fit for use, but of course without guarantees that other parts of the seam might not fail later. The new one is on its way back to the dealer -- saving me about $1300.

It's a lot of work detaching and reattaching seven pipes (cold water in, hot water out, two central heating connections, two engine connections, one pressure relief outlet) and so forth. These plastic push-fit plumbing connections are not so completely perfect to use.

But anyway, the repair seems to have worked. I'm about to take a hot shower on board!

Think -- radiator shop.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 00:14   #18

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft
Nice one , glad to hear your solution. I'm thinking, in today's throw away world, those guys would be of the few to have the skills to do the job. Regards Joe
joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calorifier, leaks