Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2015, 18:37   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
King Air

Would like to hear from anyone using the "King Air" line of air conditioning regarding their experience with this brand, either pro or con.
Old 19-08-2015, 14:55   #2

Boat: Yankee 30'
Re: King Air

I had a mixed experience. Long time ago, back then marine AC was their main business, I installed three units, on two boats with good results. But when I installed one on my own boat 5 years later, the compressor was very noisy and didn't cool as promissed (the temperature drop was not as advertised.) I took the unit back and they tested it in front of me there in the shop. The technician then told me that is the best I can expect and that I need bigger water pump, although the ones supplied previously seemed to work fine with the other installations. Got bigger pump, water shooting out the discharge like it was a bow thruster. They told me the noisy compressor was becaus it was the superior piston compressor they use. It sort of worked. Five years later the compressor gone out completely. I took the unit back to King Air, they replaced almost all the parts and charged me just little less than what I paid originally for the whole system. BUT. When I installed it, it ran quietly and worked like a champ for 6 more years, at which point I killed it through negligence myself. So the compressor had been defective from day one and they chose to BS me so they don't have to warranty it. Not happy with that kind of treatment.
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 15:53   #3

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I had a similar poor experience. Very disappointed with what little response received in support of their equipment. I will look elsewhere when time to replace.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 16:03   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Twenty years ago King Air sucked. I bought a unit that didn't work and they would do nothing for me. I guess the way they treated me twenty years ago still affects the way I feel about them! They still suck!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote